Mini faceplate and making a conrod

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesWimshurst

DavesWimshurst
Reaction score
This is a small faceplate that I made from some recycled steel:

IMG_0316.jpg

I'll illustrate its use in making a connecting rod. The rod was started by drilling and reaming the two holes and rough sawing to size. It was mounted in a small lever operated rotary table to round the ends.

IMG_0301.jpg

Several passes were used to round the end equally. I used only the layout lines to set the proportions. The blank was flipped over because the table stops were not set exactly the same for the start and end of the cut. This helped make the rod symmetrical.

IMG_0302.jpg

The part was set in the mill vice using the center drills to set the height.

IMG_0303.jpg

An end stop was set to allow resetting the part in the vise after checking the depth of cut and to do the other side.

IMG_0304.jpg

After a small reset because the cutter was smaller than the needed flat area the profile was finished.

IMG_0307.jpg

Now to the faceplate. A centering rod is a close slip fit in the fixture. It's adjusted by the screw through the center to project high enough to hold the part. A rod to fit the hole in the part at one end and a center hole in the other is used to hold everything in place.

IMG_0308.jpg

The screw near the edge of the faceplate serves to drive the part so reasonably heavy cuts can be made with no chance of slipping.

IMG_0310.jpg

The part is easily flipped to do the other side and a smaller center pin is easily changed over to complete the other end.

IMG_0310.jpg

A pointed end rod was used to hold the small end in place.

IMG_0312.jpg

The completed rod needs only a small amount of hand work to be done.

IMG_0314.jpg

Now all I need to do is to build an engine around the rod. The big end hole is 3/16 inch, the small end hole is 1/8 inch and the center to center distance is .9 inch.
I hope this is useful.

Dave

Dave,
Pretty neat. Thanks for sharing.
Dennis

yeppers pretty neet :). i to like seeing this stuff done gives us newbies brain food. thank you :bow:

itowbig said:
yeppers pretty neet :). i to like seeing this stuff done gives us newbies brain food. thank you :bow:

What he said. Some of the tools and jigs are just as interesting as the finished models.

Always interested in see how parts are made. I will have to make a faceplate like that for my shop. Great job on the connecting rod.

Latest posts

Back