Micrometer Stand

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue_Rock

Reaction score
After struggling taking micrometer readings of small parts for some time now, I got around to making a micrometer stand.

The brass base is an old door knob that I rescued from a dumpster and the wood base came from an old bed slat scrounged from another dumpster. The base is finished with funiture oil.

I super glued a thin piece of high density foam rubber to the rear jaw to ensure the micrometer will not slip out of the clamp.

The wood base was added because the brass stand would tip over if accidentally knocked hard and I had visions or my beloved micrometer taking a dive onto the concrete.

The stand tilts the micrometer at 45˚ but, on reflection, a tilt of 30˚off the horizontal would have been better to more easily take readings.

MicroS (Medium).jpg

Now that is a handy tool to hold a handy tool!

Great design!

Andrew

Great work. Do you have any drawings you would be willing to share?

I've been considering making one of these for a while now...

D

If you plan to make a mic stand, remember that it needs some weight and height for best usability. I made one years ago out of scrap that was small and light and I thought it was all I needed. I never found it satisfying to use, but carried on. I stumbled on a used Mitutoyo 156 on ebay for a very good price. I overhauled the mechanics and repainted it. It is made from cast iron, thus has some weight and is a joy to use. I know that is a strange thing to say about such a simple tool, but it is a near perfect design. So, if you make one, do it like this and you will like it forever. Mitutoyo 156-101-10 Micrometer Stand For Micrometers Up To 4": Calipers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

WOB

Latest posts

Back