metric plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

This is how my screen looks like while drawing.
The conversiontool works very well and very fast.

imptometr.jpg

The problem is that bar stock in either system of measurement has reasonably large tolerances, so buying a 6mm piece of x material may yield a bar that measures anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 mm and the same goes for imperial, a 1/4inch round bar may measure from .225 to .265 inches. Metric drill bits and reamers are just as much of a problem also, a 6mm drill bit may actually measure 5.8 to 6.2 mm,

I would be definitely changing suppliers if I were you. Want closer tolerance steel, buy cold rolled. As far as drill bits go, in over 40 years as a toolmaker I have never found a drill bit to be as far undersized or oversized as you have.

Paul.

Last edited:
I would be definitely changing suppliers if I were you. Want closer tolerance steel, buy cold rolled. As far as drill bits go, in over 40 years as a toolmaker I have never found a drill bit to be as far undersized or oversized as you have.

Paul.

Indeed,

I would change supplier to. If I'd buy say a 9.2 mm drill-bit I'd expect it to measure exactly that...!
And if I buy a 6mm brass rod. I expect it to be a h8 tolerance, no more no less. !! Bronze is another story, the production process does not allow close tolerance, so bronze will differ an few tenths of a mm.

Chris

am i being to fusy to expect to buy plans in metric?

i,m looking at my 1st build, and i know its relatively easy to convert, but to start changing a fraction to a decimal then x 25.4 is becoming a pain i can do without. ok doing 1 or 2, but they just dont convert ? or am i being stupid.. ie 1/2" = 0.5 x 25.4 = 12.7mm !!! now come on... 12.5 or 13mm i can cope with...

i have been trying to find metric plans for a simple (ish) static beam engine for ages now, without success.

any help guys for a simpleton ?

Hi,

I used to be metric guy like you too. In uni never came to terms with imperial units. Once I started this hobby things changed, I can move between imperial,metric and fractional without even thinking about it. I bought a cheap fractional vernier and converted all the plans dimensions to metric to start with after a while it became second nature to me. Most of the plans for these model engines were drawn a very long time ago and then imperial was the accepted standard, you need to adapt if this is going to work. I have fitted cheap calliper s and dot into my lathe and mill and conversion between the two is not a problem.

Good luck,

A.G

I would rather be machining than working on plans [ too old to learn a cad program - time is the problem ] I get around the issue by establishing the shaft & thread sizes then drilling, reaming to suit. Everything else is sized from there.
Because of the Imperial/ Metric conflict I have never built an engine to plans. keeps the grey cells ticking over, which is my main interest in machining.
I was recently going to purchase taper pin drill/reamers & decided to go metric till I found the taper pins available in Oz. are imperial. Just have to keep your wits about you, but can be frustrating, especially for newcomers.
A you make more engines you will gradually work out a system - keep at it.

Latest posts

Back