Metric availability rant

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,
Here in the US I was equally fustrated when I went to both Home Depot and Lowe's and was told they did not have any metric drills. Since I've been working on toy steam engines I've really started to dislike the bigbox stores.
I've had some luck with the some independents (not many left) and have noticed their stuff never seems to be more expensive.
At least it was easy to get a set of drills on ebay

The meticification thing is a bit of a joke.I do service work for a scale company we do inspections calibrations repairs etc. Most of our industrial customers still get the scales inspected /calibrated with pound weights. A few of the customers the inspections are done with KG weights but the calibration still needs to be done with pound weights that are calibrated by the State on a balance that reads in kilograms/grams. HMM are you confused!!!
Tin

Ebay store "boltmeup", more stainless nuts, bolts, of all types than you can poke a stick at.
Bulk multi size allen head with nuts, nylocks and washers packs 280 excellent value and
quick to post from UK.
Metric is good, will the LUDDITES ever accept change. ::) (Although recent events in the US suggest
there is hope)
Yes there is a case for imperial when working on old machinery but for new construction go metric.

I am now stretching out my neck waiting for the guillotine to drop. :(

baldrocker said:
Yes there is a case for imperial when working on old machinery but for new construction go metric.

I am now stretching out my neck waiting for the guillotine to drop. :(

When I first started tooling up I planned to only use metric in my new builds but have since discovered I can't get most of my material in metric sizes which has forced me to change my ideas. Thread sizes is a nightmare. So far I use Metric, BSW, BSF and BA and I'm sure soon I will be needing other sizes.

;D I have screwing tackle for Metric (coarse & fine) BA, BSW, BSF, ME (32 & 40 tpi) BSB, BSP, UNC & UNF here and I"m still finding threads I can't handle. One day .......

I only dream about a full set of number, metric (in 0.1mm Increment), Letter and Imperial drills.

Not to mention, Full sets of BA, BSP, BSW, BSF, Metric Coarse and Fine UNC, UNF, UNP and ME taps and dies all in HSS.

Best Regards
Bob :) :)

The range I have are by no means full sets - just the sizes I often use, + 'bargains' etc. A good set of 0.1mm drills just about supersedes the need for number drills. I bought a set 20 some years ago and it was a really good investment, although there's probably not a lot of the original drills in the case now. ;) A bit like my grandfather's axe, that I have here - 3 new heads and six new handles, but it's a good as the day he gave it to me.

Bob

Cedray have 0.1 mm incriment drill sets TiNi coated 1mm-13mm for $129 ATM if they haven't sold out (November special)

and i saw a set on Evilbay for a few bucks less a week or so ago ($110 sold price maybe?)

but got a set from Ozmestore of Oztion a couple months ago for similar $$ ( $135 i think)

cheers

jack

Tel and Jack,

Thanks to both of you for the info; both the what and the where. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

metric bolts and nuts do not look scale on anything you build. If I use metric bolts on a 1 inch to the foot engine the head sizes are wrong and the threads look odd.
If some one asks me to build a traction engine for them and commits to multiple thousands of pounds nine times out of ten im not going to get paid or get any more work if I use bolts that have heads and threads that dont look scale, and yes scale looking thread form does matter.
Im building a 1.5 tonn 4 inch to the foot Mclaren road loco at the moment that will be kept for my own use. I plan to copy the thread forms used on the engine. easy to do as I have the full size engine five miles from me.

If you want odd threads try looking at the Fowler traction engines they had there own thread form for many years and it looks nothing like any of the comon threads.

Letter and number drills are to my mind essential if your building models of any scale. For tapping BA threads theres as a rule a metric drill thats close to the correct tapping size but close and right are a long way off. Its worth putting the cash out for drill sets there always usefull to have.

One point il add is BA is a derivation of an old metric system.

compound driver 2 said:
metric bolts and nuts do not look scale on anything you build. If I use metric bolts on a 1 inch to the foot engine the head sizes are wrong and the threads look odd.
If some one asks me to build a traction engine for them and commits to multiple thousands of pounds nine times out of ten im not going to get paid or get any more work if I use bolts that have heads and threads that dont look scale, and yes scale looking thread form does matter.

Letter and number drills are to my mind essential if your building models of any scale. For tapping BA threads theres as a rule a metric drill thats close to the correct tapping size but close and right are a long way off. Its worth putting the cash out for drill sets there always usefull to have.

One point il add is BA is a derivation of an old metric system.

I will certainly agree about metric thread not looking right, at least to my eye, having used BA for so many years.

The 0.1 metric drills, tho', are nicely stepped at 0.004" (give or take a bit) and are close enough for most applications. The steps between number drills vary and are, in a lot of cases, far larger steps.

Maryak said:
I only dream about a full set of number, metric (in 0.1mm Increment), Letter and Imperial drills.

Not to mention, Full sets of BA, BSP, BSW, BSF, Metric Coarse and Fine UNC, UNF, UNP and ME taps and dies all in HSS.
All for use on the same model, right? :big:

BEst regards,

Kludge

Hi Kludge
In my tool boxes I have Whitworth from 1/8th to 1 1/2 inc. BA from 0 to 24 UNC from 1/4 up to about 3/4 inch. Me from 1/8th to 1/2 inch. three boxes of BSF assorted sizes. BSP most sizes. A full set of BSB (brass), Full set of 26TPI cycle. Plus a load more that I dont use. I also have dies to suit mostof the taps. Id say 80% are HSS 15% carbon steel and a few that im not sure about. I also have not wanting to miss out on the pain in athe ass ones. Home made taps for Fowlers and Aveling and porter steam traction engines. These were made at home to do odd jobs.

I honestly think having all the sizes of taps is as important as having a good selection of drill sets. None of them have to cost a fortune, many can be picked up at boot sales for a few pennies each. The sets are the only costly ones and they come up on offer from time to time.

compound driver 2 said:
I honestly think having all the sizes of taps is as important as having a good selection of drill sets. None of them have to cost a fortune, many can be picked up at boot sales for a few pennies each. The sets are the only costly ones and they come up on offer from time to time.

Being serious for a moment, I tend to agree. The idea of sticking to some narrow set of standards goes against the idea of being able to size a fastener to a given task rather than sizing the task to the fastener. With the complete set of drills you mentioned would also be a compete set of reamers for on, under and oversized holes, nice for fitting alignment pins and for tight, "just right" or loose threading. (Not all dies are adjustable, darn it.)

While I prefer to buy sets (mostly for organizational purposes), it's not always possible and it sometimes results in overlaps which take space I don't have. So, some are or will be in sets, some individuals, some catch as catch can. What a way to run a railroad!

BEst regards,

Kludge ... who found his 6-40 die and a whole lot more!

Kludge,

Naturally
gasping1.gif
gasping1.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Naturally
gasping1.gif
gasping1.gif

Ahhh, a man after me own heart.

As mentioned before, I prefer to size the threaded goodies to the project, not the other way around. As a result, having as many different sets as possible is a Good Thing to achieve that end ... and drive anyone trying to duplicate my work completely and totally raving sane. ;D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Back