Metal Prices

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Metal prices keep climbing higher.

I needed 3 inches of 1-1/2" OD brass for a current project.
Went to my known least expensive source, Online Metals
and saw a price of $47.01 per foot or $5.10 per inch. :eek:

Next option, eBay.
I bought a 10" bar end of 360 brass for $19.51
eBayBrass.jpg

Less than a year ago that would have been considered an insane price.

When gold reached $800 an ounce I remembered having a big old High School
class ring here. My youngest boy caught my intentions and took the ring! LOL
He's had it on HIS finger ever since, saying that he would not allow me to sell it
for scrap gold value.

Rotten Kids! ;)

Rick

I have been asking for quotes on a new steel building for my new shop and every one of them says the price of steel is going to jump. Even a steel supplier for my brothers shop said prices where going up and it may be worth ordering a bunch of extra steel before it jumps.

Im sure fuel prices play into this some but I do hope it is BS hype and not a sign of lean times to come. I am not a doom and gloom type person. prices going up is just a fact of life.

Just like any other day you grab a bargain when you can and stock up.

Steel prices are allready going up. Its been going up sharpley since the first of the year. I was told that 6" domestic seamless pipe was up 40%. I have also been told by my suppliers that they know it will continue till at least july, beyond that???

The reason for the copper based products (tubing, brass, PB) pricing climbing at a fast rate is because the third world are buying up all they can get, to support their new manufacturing plants.

I am still lucky in that my scrap man is holding his prices. I got a piece of 2" brass bar last week, about 12" long, weighing 5 kilos (11 lbs) for £10 ($20), he never ever overcharges me for anything, I just pay for what I have, and never argue about what he charges me for it, and I always make a point of saying thank you.
I know for a fact he is letting me have it for what he is getting it for, so all the years spent getting to know your most favourite man in the world pays off. He might not look human, but underneath it all he is.

A bit of advice for you all, grab what you can, when you can. If you don't, you will find the cost of making engines will go up dramatically. I am nearly to the stage for copper based to have enough to last me at least ten years (if I get to live that long), based on one engine a month. In fact I have a gross overstock on PB up to 2" diameter, but that can be used instead of brass if needs be.

I am not being greedy, just being a pessimist with a bit of forwards planning.

John

The reason for the copper based products (tubing, brass, PB) pricing climbing at a fast rate is because the third world are buying up all they can get

i.e. China

India as as well. Amazingly enough cell phones have saved us from massive telecom layouts in both places, but people still want electricity and that comes over copper (and aluminum on the big-end), and with electricity they want motors.. wound with copper.. and electronics with copper circuit boards.. and on and on.

I read somewhere that a huge percentage of "new" brass (80%+ I think) is made from recycled old brass versus new-alloyed brass. So you could be making little engines out of brass that once was in a big pumping-house engine. I suspect some of my stock may have been insane asylum doorknobs in a past life.

As I was saying, grab it while you can. This is my inside stash and brass recycle box. The big stuff is stored outside in a big lockable box. The big diameter chunks are 2.5" diameter.

instash.jpg

Notice the tin can at the right hand side. These are the bits I salvaged out of an old printer, nuts, bolts, springs, stainless axles, bearings, everything which might be of use is kept.
Over the years my metal store has grown and grown, just a little bit here and there, but the pile grows steadily. I think the materials I have now are worth more than all my machinery put together.

John

an irritatingly impressive stashbox you have there John!, if you have storage problems, let me know!

Giles

Latest posts

Back