Metal Prices.... 2011

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
I visited with one of my local scrappers this week and got a warning. He said copper was on a tear right now and was closing on $3.70 per pound (local), with Brass hard on its heels at $2.60, both likely to rise even further after first of the year. Aluminum seems to be relatively steady for the moment at $1.00. I'll be visiting my other source next week, but I don't expect he'll give me any better news.

Scrapper #1 basically stated that the next year was not likely to offer many bargains, unless something totally unpredictable happens to drive prices down. He "fully expects to see copper above $4.00 before spring, which could put brass well over the $3.00 mark." Looks like I'm not going to be buying much metal for the foreseeable future. Thankfully, I'm well stocked on most of what I might need, at least for now.

Might be a good time to check on any bargains you've been watching but hesitating to pick up. Sadly, I'm probably not going to get the nice clean 8" brass round stock that scrapper #2 has hidden back for me. It'll have to be something very special, at these prices, to tempt my wallet into opening.

Steve

The price of "Red" metals is getting ridiculous. Brass is my favorite metal, so I guess I will be paying more this year. :mad:

IronHorse

Today I paid $2.70 a pound for brass plate at the local scrap yard. He also said copper was up in price as well.

Dave

Philjoe5 said:
I scan the price brass goes for on eBay from time to time. Think anyone will bite?

http://cgi.ebay.com/360-Brass-Round...555?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa721d283

Works out to $13.50/lb but shipping is free.

For that price I really expect the guy to come out to my shop, and make my parts while I'm sipping a martini. :big:

Phil

That's a little over priced! Rof}

Speedy has it for $200.00.

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2146-8199-2-14-rd-ca-360-brass.aspx

-MB

Haven't seen any real metal bargains on Ebay in quite some time.

Steve

There is a bright side to the price going up. ;D

The last increase to $2.00 LB brought a lot sellers rushing to the scrap yard. Job shops and larger shops cleaned out all the extra brass they were sitting on. I stocked up on a lot of brass shapes and sizes with the last price increase.

Its always a bargain by the pound, but you need to build up a private stock pile to ovoid ordering it by the inch or foot, and paying a much higher price plus shipping.

Hopefully the increasing price will bring out some of stuff still on my shopping list. :)

-MB

You mean you guys aren't hedging your purchases with metals futures?

dieselpilot said:
You mean you guys aren't hedging your purchases with metals futures?

To risky! I'm hedging on the bright future my scrap brass will have, as parts of my engines!

-MB

... coming in under the radar, but I got 'im!

The price of metals is not changing, only the value of your money.

Back