Maybe I got a deal---Finally

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awJCKDup

Reaction score
Hi all, ran into this little Dumore High speed (17,000 rpm), sensitive drill today, and thought I would take a chance on it. It did run, so a little haggling, I dropped 28 bucks and took it home. Needs a good cleaning, but I will probably do a complete redo, ----sandblast, paint, check brushes, bearings, re lube and polish.

dumore2.jpg

dumore1.jpg

John

Outstanding!

Easy on the sandblast........

dave

I reckon thats worth $27 of anyones money ... only joking :D good buy, lets see some pictures once it's all cleaned up and painted!

Vic.

I'd encourage you to spend the bucks to get the correct precision replacement bearings.

Thanks guys, the refurbish will probably be a few weeks away, but pics will come.
does anyone know if there was any special or machine specfic types of hold downs, vices, or clamps used on these machines?

John

When you get it done, treat it (and yourself) to a nice Albrecht J15 chuck. I'm envious. I just laid out about $200 for a Micromark variable speed drill, and added an Albrecht chuck. It has digital readout depth gage, and it is actually quite an excellent machine. I gave it a 2' precision ground vise. Enjoy.

John- Great buy. I am envious.

Mosey- A 2 foot precision vise!!!! Wow that's some drill! ;)

-Bob

Yeah, Bob, those 2 foot vises are rare! You should see it with a #80 drill.
Thanks for calling that to my attention.

Well I ended up having some time today so the Dumore got disassembled, cleaned.

100_0638.jpg

After a good cleaning I decided against sandblasting and a full redo, instead just scuff the paint and apply a new light top coat. Knobs and shinny things got a good cleaning in the lathe and a flat clearcoat.

100_0639.jpg

I took the motor apart brushes were ok. cleaned the armature, top bearing was good, surprisingly the bottom bearing turned out to be an oillite bushing with a ball end and mounted in a spring mounting, cleaned and re oiled. Put it all back together and Vrooooom----success. Sorry no pics of motor apart.

John
Tomorrow reassembly, I hope.

Ended up with more time than I thought I was going to have. The little Dumore is done, couldn't find any wrinkle finish paint, so I got what I got. Ended up having an almost new Jacobs chuck so that went on.

100_0642.jpg

100_0641.jpg

100_0640.jpg

Good enough for my shop.

Thanks for looking

John

Wow... I have one of these and didn't even know what it was. Mine is lacking the motor, but everything else is there. Can you show a close up of the end of the the motor that attaches to the bracket?

Pat

Hi Pat, here's a pic of the motor, it just has a stud 3/8-24 that holds it to the stand---certainly wasn't what I was expecting when I tore it apart. The pics I've seen of later models looks different.

100_0645.jpg

Hope you find or can make something.
John

Thanks ever so much for posting that photo. It is as simple as I imagined it was. My first idea was to use the pieces to fabricate a sensitive tapping fixture. Seeing that motor makes that idea seem even more realisitic. I don't think I will luck into a motor like that in a thousand years. But the way my luck goes, I will find one shortly after making the tapping fixture. I guess as long as I don't destroy any of the original pieces, it won't make any difference.

Pat
Raytown, MO

Latest posts

Back