Maryak 10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rleete,

Thank you for your kind words and support. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Will this be a glow plug type engine or the type with the screw in the head.

The screw type, is that a diesel?

Is there a future plane or boat or do you just build them to run on a stand like me.

Sorry if this has already been covered.

This is going to be quite a thumper (I know, that term is usually reserved for 4 strokes), but with that stroke (and bore) you'll have to tie 'er down pretty good to keep it from jumping all over the place!

Chuck

Steve,

It will be a diesel type. At this stage I am just building engines and enjoying the process of getting them to run.

Chuck,

How right you are, I am anticipating a fair degree of jumping about. I intend for it not to chase me around the yard. ::)

Thanks guys for your support and interest. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
bob

Dave and the rest of the support team,

Sorry about the delay but the fang farrier got stuck in yesterday so I rested my aching jaw, ( lucky I am not SWMDBO ::))

Today's effort was the crankcase cover plate.

Aluminium chucked for the cover plate

IMG_0305.jpg

The inside of the plate completed.

IMG_0306.jpg

Test fit of the crankcase and cover plate.

IMG_0307.jpg

Forming the outside flange.

IMG_0308.jpg

The outside of the cover plate counter bored.

IMG_0310.jpg

Setup for drilling the cover plate and crankcase.

IMG_0311.jpg

The finished crankcase end cover plate.

IMG_0312.jpg

Have a good day.

Maryak said:
How right you are, I am anticipating a fair degree of jumping about. I intend for it not to chase me around the yard. ::)

Best Regards
bob

;D Had that happen with a full sized Sundial 1.5hp a few years back - exciting stuff!

Looking Good. ;DI trust the shop has cooled down some? 8)

Dave

tel said:
;D Had that happen with a full sized Sundial 1.5hp a few years back - exciting stuff!

Tel,

My worst was one of those ratchet crank handles on a Lister which refused to disengage when the engine started. Not a lot of room to get out of the way in a warboat engine room. When it did let go it was amazing how my things it hit and how many different directions it travelled before coming to a well deserved stop. The fuel shut off was adjacent to it and the emergency shut off was on the other side from where I was trying to disappear into the deck plates. Nough Said :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave,

Yes thanks it's hovering between 15C and 25C very pleasant.

Thanks to both of you for your continued support. :bow: :bow:

I am 90% sure I will be off to Kalgoolie WA tomorrow, there is an urgent job on a couple of tanks at a mine site, one with Sodium Hydrosulphide and another with Conc Sulphuric Acid. Both are decidedly unpleasant to deal with and I will be glad when it's over. ;D ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for the progress report and pictures Bob. Entertaining AND educational - that's a good combo :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Phil,

I'm glad you find it entertaining. ;D

Today's paltry effort, (getting ready for my trip in the morning).
plane5.gif

Tapping the crankcase for the cover plate studs.

IMG_0314.jpg

Th end cover plate fitted to the crankcase.

IMG_0315.jpg

Spent quite some time on an aluminium removal exercise from under the benches and machines.
smiley-chores037.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Great stuff Bob. :bow: :bow: That crankcase cover extends quite a bit into the crankcase. Why wouldn't you just use a flat plate with a small recess? Are you minimizing dead space in the crankcase with your design?

Cheers,
Phil

I have the same question. I will need some sort of cover for the crankcase on my CO2 engine. Dave Kerzel shows one on his build page, but not on the plan. I was thinking that it might be interesting to have a lexan or polycarbonate transparent cover so expose the operation of the crank and rods. For now I will likely just have an aluminum cover similar to Bob's.

On a 2-cycle engine like the Maryak10, the crankcase is the scavenging pump. It performs best when it has the least dead space. Hence the deeply dished end cover. I made a Little Dragon and over-cut the crankcase interior volume when slotting for the con-rod clearance. Performance was definitely affected.

rklopp said:
On a 2-cycle engine like the Maryak10, the crankcase is the scavenging pump. It performs best when it has the least dead space. Hence the deeply dished end cover.

Phil & kvom,

The above explains it very nicely.

Thanks to all 3 of you for your interest and support. :bow: :bow: :bow:

See Ya next week after Kalgoolie.

Best Regards
Bob

Just don't get caught up in Hay Street! ;)

tel said:
Just don't get caught up in Hay Street! ;)

Hi All,

I'm back - stayed away from Hay street - mind you there was one on the plane going back to Perth yesterday and were I 40 years younger and single.........

The job went well - I condemned the Sodium Hydrosulphide tank and that made everybody happy - They have been unsuccessfully trying to get money for a new one for a year or so. This tank had corroded from 16mm down to 5mm, (5/8" down to 7/32").

Tomorrow should see M10 again.

Best Regards
Bob

Paolo,

Thanks for your continued support and interest, :bow:

Lack of Progress report - don't quite know but I have done my back in. Can't sit, can't stand, can't lay down any and all for any length of time. I am currently a fully paid up member of "Grumpy Old Men." ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back