Maryak 10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metal Mickey said:
Hello Bob, what lapping compound are you using? Diamond paste or something else? MM
Hi guys.
Just a few words: Never ever use Diamond paste as lapping compond on internal parts on a engine :eek: DIAMONDS ARE FORWER.
Regards CS

excellent write up on this build, looking forward to more of this build......................

chuck

Nick,

Your contributions here sure inspire me, its a much better alternative than getting expired. ::) :bow:

Crankshafter,

Thanks for the advise re diamond compound - looks like you've opened a can of worms. We all have our opinions and that's what helps to make the world go round. :bow:

Chuck,

Thanks for your kind words and support. :bow:

So - Lapping - At great expense below is a video of me in action. :big: ::)

After that the piston ready for counterboring is a bit of an anti-climax. ;D

IMG_0266.jpg

Enjoy your day.

Hi Bob

Excellent Video, like the titles :big: :big: :big:

I do enjoy watching your builds and say a hearty thank you for showing us your work.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Bob,

I couldn't peel myself away from that video. It had me on the edge of my seat. Definitely Academy Award material. ;D

Seriously though, for a newbie like me, it is very informative.

Thank you,

the other Bob

Being a complete novice it was very informative, thanks for posting. :bow:

Bob, once again thanks for taking the time to share your work and techniques with all of us. The lapping video was a great lesson :bow: :bow: :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Would it be safe to say that the membership is "lapping it up"?

I'm impressed with the rate of progress on your engine. Keep it up.

rleete said:

The above had me rolling in the aisles :big: :big:

Seriously - Thanks Guys :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob, That was great!

rleete said:

<bad pun>It could also be said that we are "honing" our skills by watching Bob's progress.</bad pun>

Kevin and Gavin,

Thanks guys,

If nothing else it's honing my skills. :bow: :bow:

Not a lot today, an old Navy mate dropped in and by the time we'd finished telling lies about the past it was time to take Mrs M shopping.

Photobucket is under maintenance so I will edit this post later and add todays feeble effort.

Best Regards
Bob

Edit - Counterboring the piston

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

Another day at the fang farrier - progress zero ::)

Best Regards
Bob

I loved the video but it's an interesting choice of music - Flight of the Bumblebee from Tale of the Tsar Sultan. It's too flighty; you need something with a bit more grit to it - something abrasive but not as in heavy metal rock.

For anything I might produce, the best choice would probably be The Death of Siegfried from Wagner's Gotterdammerung (sp?). At best, the Flight of the Valkeries from (amazingly enough) The Valkerie might work.

Ah, well.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Kludge said:
For anything I might produce, the best choice would probably be The Death of Siegfried from Wagner's Gotterdammerung (sp?). At best, the Flight of the Valkeries from (amazingly enough) The Valkerie might work.

Ah, well.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Or Tiny Tim's Tiptoe Through the Tulips?

Kludge & Tel,

Thanks fellow music lovers ::)

Best Regards
Bob

We are metal workers are we not, surely then the theme music should be Coro di zingari otherwise known as the "Anvil Chorus".

Now back to the lathe and mill!

gjn said:
We are metal workers are we not, surely then the theme music should be Coro di zingari otherwise known as the "Anvil Chorus".

If I was a blacksmith ::)

Actually managed to get a little done today.

The set up for cross drilling the gudgeon pin hole.

IMG_0270.jpg

Machining the slot for the conrod.

IMG_0272.jpg

Parting off the piston.

IMG_0273.jpg

The piston and conrod.

IMG_0274.jpg

Some 316SS for the gudgeon pin.

IMG_0275.jpg

And so ends another week - Avagoodweekend.

Latest posts

Back