Maryak 10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing that.

Let me see if I get this straight

thats two threaded studs mounted to a plate at the Conrod center to center distance.

Grab each one in turn in the three jaw and round the end. The clamp is to keep the fixture clocked in the jaws?

I like it!

Dave

Paolo & Dave,

Thanks Guys. :bow: :bow:

Yes Dave, your explanation is spot on.

Best Regards
Bob

Nice rounding job Bob. Is that device that clamped to one of the chuck jaws serving as a rotation stop?

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks Phil,

The bolts through each end of the conrod are sized so that they just clear the chuck. The toolmakers clamp then secures the bolt to the chuck jaw giving a positive drive in either direction via the rotary table. The conrod is secured to the jig by a nut under the plate on the outer end, and the bolt in the chuck jaws is pushed hard down, using the quill, before the jaws are fully tightened.

Hope that explains it OK ???

Best Regards
Bob

Hi All,

Don't know why this is in "A Work In Progress"
wow.gif

The last 2 days have been a non-event. Still the money was nice; so I shouldn't complain. ::) ::)

Have a great weekend.

Best Regards
Bob

Steve,

Thanks for your support and kind words :bow: :bow:

I have no intention of giving up, I was just venting my spleen at how paying work was stuffing up my play time. ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,
I have that same problem now.
Are you saying I will still have the same problem even in retirement?? ??? :mad:

Cheers,
Kevin

ksouers said:
Bob,
I have that same problem now.
Are you saying I will still have the same problem even in retirement?? ??? :mad:

Cheers,
Kevin

If you are as rich as I am - YES
LolLolLolLol.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hang in there buddy.....I had one of those weeks too.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your support I'm hanging
smiley-violent036.gif
:big: :big:

A little more progress with the crankshaft.

A lump of aluminium for the crankshaft jig.

IMG_0242.jpg

Setup to drill the offset for the crankpin in the jig.

IMG_0243.jpg

The jig drilled and reamed.

IMG_0244.jpg

Setup for machining the crankpin.

IMG_0245.jpg

Roughing out the crankpin.

IMG_0246.jpg

I have only been putting it off since 1995 ::) but my aching jaw saw me at the dentist, more to follow when I know how much pain I must endure. ::) ::)

Bob,

I like the idea of the jig rather than off-setting in 4-jaw (I found that difficult). How does the jig clamp the shaft though? Is it split?

Cheers,

Nick

NickG said:
Bob,

I like the idea of the jig rather than off-setting in 4-jaw (I found that difficult). How does the jig clamp the shaft though? Is it split?

Cheers,

Nick

Nick,

In my case the 4 jaw is too big to hold a 7/16" shaft at a 1/2" offset. The clamping is 2 fold:

1. A push fit, (to be cut off later).

2. A split jig, (see the 4th pic in my last post).

I was hoping to use a nut and spacer on the back of the jig but not enough room in the chuck annulus hence the push fit and split. I am also taking LIGHT cuts.

Thanks for your continued support and interest. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Nice technique Bob. You're inspiring some of us to push the envelope :bow: :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Bob,

Don't know how I missed the split line! :-[

I will definitely be using this method on future engines of mine, seems pretty solid. I will have to combat my impatience though and take LIGHT cuts! :big: ;)

Nick

looking good as always bob.............and thanks for the photos and drawings :)

chuck

Slick fixture Bob! Like it alot!

Probably use that on my Seadog....Though I might use the 4 jaw.

How much is left to do friend?

Dave

Phil, Nick, Chuck & Dave,

Thanks guys for your kind words, support encouragement and interest. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Not a lot today as I am making a becket for a ships bell. Something different and it's not a love job.

So here's what I did get done.

The completed crank pin.

IMG_0247.jpg

The conrod fitted.

IMG_0248.jpg

Drilling the inlet port.

IMG_0249.jpg

The inlet port.

IMG_0250.jpg

Finding TDC so that I can locate the web cut away and cross drill the inlet at the correct angle.

IMG_0251.jpg

And so went another day in downtown Port Adelaide. ::)

I know I've slacked off this week and today won't be any different. I hate dentists, (only on a professional level), and have been putting off seeing one for some time.

Net result - had one of my big old molars removed yesterday and I am banned from my shop until Monday when I'm off the pain killers.

Best Regards
Bob

Back