Maryak 10

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get aholt of a tub of Cop-R-Cote if you can find it, the best dead centre lube going IMHO

Thanks Tel,

Anti sieze compound for drill rods is another source, but be careful there are 2 types, one Zinc based and one Copper based.

Best Regards
Bob

Top notch work as usual Bob. With your pictures documenting the machining of the con rod I feel as though I've just attended a workshop in machining....lots to learn here,

Cheers
Phil

Phil,

Thanks for your continued support. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Bob, I'm scribbling notes as fast as I can. Thank you for the excellent show and tell as you go. (Also thanks to you and Tel for the info on dead center lubricants.) Phil has the right of it; this is an excellent workshop in machining, including what to do when things go "oops".

Kee going! A lot of us are following along learning as we go.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Yes Bob....Please maintain course,turns and heading... :bow:

Kludge and Dave,

Thanks Guys :bow: - Will somebody be lookout for the lighthouse down the track ???

Best Regards
Bob

Don't worry....we'll be sure to give you a stop bell.....

:big: ;D

Dave,

Due to other commitments, Please I need a start bell ::) Yesterday was a dead duck on the model front but very busy with the rest of our lives.
LolLolLolLol.gif

Managed a little more on the conrod this morning now all ??? ??? I need to do is round the ends.

Some bronze for the bushes.

IMG_0233.jpg

The 2 bushes ready for pressing into the conrod.

IMG_0234.jpg

The conrod with the bushes pressed home.

IMG_0235.jpg

Setting up to drill and ream the bushes.

IMG_0237.jpg

The conrod with finished bushes.

IMG_0238.jpg

Beautiful work!

I rounded some ends by drilling and reaming with the chuck into a piece of flat bar held in the tool post .

bolt up the rod end and swing past an end mill held in the chuck. (carefully )

as you were.

:bow:

Nice work, Bob!

I do believe you are starting to have a collection of parts ;)
Following along in my usual stealthy fashion.

Kevin

Maryak said:

(Kermit raises his hand and waits for teacher to call him) :D

Uhm, I got a question here. I see you clamp down rig and understand it. Less to it than I would have thought, but then your just drilling a hole here...anyway. I see the two parallels and think I understand what those are doing. I also see a plate of scrap under the part so I don't think you aren't concerned with setting depth. What's the dial indy doing for ya there Bob? :)

Kevin 1&2,

Thanks for your continued support and encouragement. :bow: :bow:

Kermit,

The scrap plate on top of the parallels will be a jig to hold the conrod whilst I round the ends. The DI is being used to set the conrod along the Y axis so that I can use the axis movement to give the correct centre distance of the big end and gudgeon, (2.250"). The parallels are for clearance from the table so that I can drill through the scrap piece and not damage the mill table. - Hope that explains it OK. ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

I got it. Thanks Bob.

I didn't think of the need to round the ends at this point, but you did!. I think it is incredible how you guys plans all these steps out and like Chess you think ahead to the next few steps as well.

Long way go and late getting started,
Kermit

Hello Bob, still going well I see. I liked Kermits question as I thought the same as he did. Chess is a good analergy and thats where experience comes in I suppose....Hmmmm even more to store away. No wonder I have a head ache...... :bow:

Good progress Bob. You're providing great coffee break reading for some of us :bow:.

Cheers,
Phil

Kermit, Mike and Phil,

Thanks for your support and interest. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Dave,

Thanks for your continued support. :bow:

Today saw the conrod completed.
icon_yippee.gif

The set up for milling the conrod ends.

IMG_0240.jpg

The finished conrod.

IMG_0241.jpg

Doesn't look like much but by the time I'd messed around finding the right sized bolts and got the RT set up, it was smoko. So I didn't jump anything out of wack I only took 0.010" cuts and after a little clean up with emery cloth, I was pleased, so called it a day before something jumped up and bit me. Besides its starting to get hot again and was 38C in the shop at 11:00.
really.gif

I'm learning a lot looking at your post!!! Thanks :bow: :bow: :bow:

Back