Marshall Tractors

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKIPRAT

Reaction score
Hi All
Yesterday was father's day and an event was put on at the Marshalls Yard shopping centre (formerly Marshalls works) here in Gainsborough in the form of a display of Marshall tractors and I went along to have a look and took my camera along to take some pictures. Strange as it is the tractors where lined up where formerly the works number 1 yard was and this was where most of them where dispatched from I have Posted a few pictures of them so you can see what was there. Some of you will recognize the character hiding under the flat cap in several of them from another Forum however I did introduce myself and have a natter with him

Mt2.jpg

MT3.jpg

MT4.jpg

MT5.jpg

MT6.jpg

MT7.jpg

MT1.jpg

MT8.jpg

Cheers Paul .

Good Grief, not more of the wretched things !! :big:

Some Geezer near here has one, hear it coming for days, starts all the dogs barking. They think Bonfire Night has come early ,,,

Don't they have something in the region of a 2 litre single cylinder Diesel engine ?? Started with a cartridge ??

Thought he was the only deviant, seems we are snided out with 'em ... :eek:

Dave BC

Afraid so David quite a few of them have dodged the scrapmans torch around here yes you are right they can be started with a cartridge but you need an explosives licence for them these days. I did see the other way of starting them on top of the cylinder head there is a t shaped handle you unscrew this and pull it out there is a tube at the end of it to put some paper soaked in saltpetre (touch paper ? ) which you light and screw back in the cylinder head after first winding it over a few turns then you stick in this match and two of you crank for all you are worth and hopefully it starts .I am not sure how big the engine is but it is a single cylinder diesel and i think it is a bit more than 2 litres what i do know is max revs 750 rpm and tickover about 150 rpm and as you say they have a unique sound to them.

Cheers Paul

Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Marshall

According to this the early design was 8" bore by 10" stroke gives about 503 Cu. Ins

8 and a bit litres .... :eek: ... in one cylinder .. ??

Little wonder they go bang ..

Interesting though, if someone gave me one, wouldn't be disappointed. A certain charm .. :D

Dave BC

Thanks for the link Dave i Will go and have a look i knew they where big and fired every telegraph pole! I am sure the technology of them is just one step up from a steam engine mind you i have seen a single cylinder diesel about as big in a narrowboat that was started with a blowlamp hotbulb ignition or something like that if i remember the make of the engine was bolinder of Sweden.

Cheers Paul

Yes I recognise that yellow engine.
Glad you had a good day.

That's quite a display Paul...look to be covering a lot of years too from vintage to now. Thanks for sharing...great pics too!!

Regards,
Bill

Latest posts

Back