Mark's Bernay Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cross Head completed. Next up, the Conrods.

Thanks for watching and your comments.

Mark T

CrossHead.jpg

I used my CNC router to cut out the Con-rods from a sheet of aluminum plate. A few months ago I upgraded my CNC router table with a R-8 spindle head from Little machine shop. This was my first try at cutting aluminum. My old router spindle was way to fast to cut aluminum and it would melt the material. This new setup works great and I am looking forward to using it on future engine projects. I was a little worried that the slower spindle speeds would not work very well cutting wood. I was pleasantly surprised as it actually works better with no burning of the wood and a lot less mess.

All assembled without a hitch and everything turns nice and smooth. So on to the piston and rod assembles.

Mark T

Conrods CNC cut.jpg

Conrods BRG.jpg

Conrods and cross shaft.jpg

Conrods mounted.jpg

I used my CNC router to cut out the Con-rods from a sheet of aluminum plate. A few months ago I upgraded my CNC router table with a R-8 spindle head from Little machine shop. This was my first try at cutting aluminum. My old router spindle was way to fast to cut aluminum and it would melt the material. This new setup works great and I am looking forward to using it on future engine projects. I was a little worried that the slower spindle speeds would not work very well cutting wood. I was pleasantly surprised as it actually works better with no burning of the wood and a lot less mess.

All assembled without a hitch and everything turns nice and smooth. So on to the piston and rod assembles.

Mark T

View attachment 124048

View attachment 124049

View attachment 124050

View attachment 124051
Looking VERY goo.

A few more parts made. Nothing difficult but extreme care was needed to make sure everything was aligning properly. From here I plan to make the steam chests from aluminum. They will be the last aluminum parts and when completed I will anodize all the aluminum parts. The iron parts I hope to use a gun-blue solution on. If that doesn't turn out well I will resort to paint. I hate paint.

Mark T

Piston parts.jpg

Piston ass-1.jpg

Piston ass-2.jpg

Absolutely beautiful ! Where did you purchase the little pad sander?
I have a praxxon like yours but haven't seen the pad sander.
I noticed you added hold down bolts for the main bearing. It also
looks like the lower cylinder caps are 1 piece, makes sense.
What is the brass circular piece over the main bearing with 3 holes in it?
Oiler for the main , or something to do with the crosshead?
I will be anxiously following your build Thanks.

Where did you purchase the little pad sander?

Amazon, see link below. It comes with 3 pads, I used my belt sander to make one smaller and another one with tapered sides. You can make your own sandpaper disks with a gasket hole punch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JH5VXDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is the brass circular piece over the main bearing with 3 holes in it?

I think you are referring to the brass bit in the top of the upper head. It provides a bushing for the rod and it holds the o-ring packing in place. Post 20 shows some detail.

I just completed the bluing of the steel and iron parts. Next I will be detailing and anodizing the aluminum parts. So it should be looking rather flashy for my next update.

Mark T

Thank you , I will order them. I was looking at page one of this thread and the piston guide/ packing gland was just sitting on the center of the block. I see my mistake now.

Bluing went well. The cast iron doesn't blue as nicely as the steel parts but It is passable. To age the cast iron fly wheel I immersed it in vinegar for a couple of hours. All aluminum parts are now anodized. All brass parts left natural.

So its time to assemble what I have made so far. I cut two sets of gaskets using my computer operated “Silhouette Portrait” paper cutter. I just love this machine, it makes perfect gaskets.

And the cherry on top, a 1.626” ball bearing.

Next step is to make the eccentric and all the linkages for operating the valves. The eccentric and rods will be made of steel and everything else will be brass.

Thanks for watching

Mark T
gaskets.jpg

NoTop.jpg

CherryTop.jpg

Same from me, very well done, i like the weathering part of the flywheel. Looks neat. Can't wait to see it running

Bluing went well. The cast iron doesn't blue as nicely as the steel parts but It is passable. To age the cast iron fly wheel I immersed it in vinegar for a couple of hours. All aluminum parts are now anodized. All brass parts left natural.

So its time to assemble what I have made so far. I cut two sets of gaskets using my computer operated “Silhouette Portrait” paper cutter. I just love this machine, it makes perfect gaskets.

And the cherry on top, a 1.626” ball bearing.

Next step is to make the eccentric and all the linkages for operating the valves. The eccentric and rods will be made of steel and everything else will be brass.

Thanks for watching

Mark T
View attachment 124422
View attachment 124423

View attachment 124424
Damn! that's nice. If I begged, lickt your boots and howled at the moon, would you give that to me?

Latest posts

Back