Mark's Bernay Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Is that wrinkle paint on the black parts?

Mark T
Yes, it is wrinkle paint. The main cylinder block is naval brass, glass beaded, painted. The “T” rods are brass, nickel plated.
The engine runs really nice and will throttle down slow.
Thanks for the kind words!

Sid

As happened on my last build, Mark's Holt 75 build, at the 11 hour just before my final post another member swooped in and posted their completed engine. Now a story doesn't need two endings so I am closing this build log and moving on.

I will post photos and a video of my completed engine on a new thread soon. A big thanks to those that have been following along.

Mark T

I did not mean to derail your thread.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sid

I have posted some photos and a video of the completed engine here

Mark's Bernays's steam engine completed

If you are thinking of building this engine I would not recommend making the block from aluminum. This engine needs to be heavy as there is a lot of mass being thrust up and down and you can only offset this with weights to a point. After that you will get out of balance laterally.

Thanks for following along.

Mark T

I was off this site for many years, and it seems that I missed a lot of things that happened.
I ran across this thread a minute ago.

The backstory on the Bernay drawings that have been circulated in many places on the web it as follows:

There have been several Bernays that I have seen around the world, and they vary somewhat in details, but all seem to follow the same vertical twin format.

My dad ran across this engraving in a Lindsay book (dad and Lindsay were buddies), and dad decided to build a Bernay.

Paris-Expo-1878-03.jpg

The above image was the only information that dad had, and he developed his own pencil-on-paper drawing for his Bernay, which is shown below.

Bernay-Vellum-Sketch-01.jpg

Here is Bob J's Bernay:

rx-No-02.jpg

Last edited:
Cancer took dad in 2006, and shortly after that a fellow modeler named Jesse Livington published a Bernays model in Live Steam Magazine.

Jesse did a good job on the Bernay, and mentioned that he saw my dad's Bernay, and just had to build one.
Jesse's Bernay was smaller than dad's though, and was missing some of the finer details that I could see on the original engine, so I decided to make drawings for my dad's Bernay, and distribute them for free (as I do with all of my engine drawings).

The result are these drawings:
https://www.classicsteamengineering...jorgensens-bernay-steam-engine.945/#post-8978
Over the years, several have built Bernay's based on my drawings (which were based on my dad's build), including Vince B, who made the Bernay in this video.

At the time I made the Bernay drawings, I did not know how to use 3D modeling programs, and so the isometrics in my Bernay drawings are all made in 2D, and a little rough, but usable I think from a graphical standpoint.

As Vince B started to build his Bernay, I decided to use my drawings to try and learn 3D modeling, and so I modeled the Bernay in 3D, as shown below. I am not sure I 100% completed the 3D model for the Bernay or not.

Strap-Top-08.jpg

And I made this animation in AutoCad to verify valve events. It is a series of GIF files that are played like a motion picture:

If you click on the image, it should play like a video, or it may do that automatically. (or you may have to download it, then click on it to see it run). I will make a video of it so it will run here.
Bernay-D-Animation.gif

These are the parts on dad's Bernay, and these were the parts that I measured and used to create my Bernay 2D drawings (link above).
At the time, I had never built a model engine, and so I had to really up my game when it came time to reassemble dad's Bernay.
It was a good learning exercise in model engine assembly, 2D drawings for models, and 3D model creation.

As mentioned, the pistons do not have rings, but it was common for dad to make his own rings in cast iron for many/most of his engines.
This seems to be the exception with no rings.

rIMG_8744.jpg

Last edited:
So this is a good example of why I publish all of my drawings for free in open-source format for non-commercial use, because it advances the hobby I think, and it allows others a chance to build some very fun and interesting engines.

There are a number of Bernay 3D models on Grabcad that were derived from my drawings.
But it all started with an effort to try and publish drawings for some of my dad's engines.

Here is the motion study made in AutoCad, using GIF screen captures.

So long story long, great job on the Bernay.
Your's looks fantastic.
How very exciting to see such a high quality build.
You have some serious talent going there.

Last edited:
Back