Making a Nest Box

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBWHART

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

I know this is not a Engine related project but I thought I would share it with you and posted it her.

I've been building nest boxes for more years than I care to remember, every year I make a small batch and have got it down to a fine art, I've just nocked up two in a couple of hours, I like to give them away as presents to people, and I know they give years of pleasure as they observe the coming and going of the birds raising their brood.

Its also a great little project to get children involved in, I help my son make one when he was 10 years old, that got him interested in ornithology a hobby that's still with him 20 years on.

You can get a plan from here http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/wildlife_gardening/bird_box.htm

Over the years I've used all sorts of scrap material to make them old pallets are a good material source.

First step mark out you wood for cutting and cut out the bits,

Tip:- so the front and roof fits neat makes these from joining pieces, and make this the last cut.

To cut the roof and front set the saw blade over at an angle.

100_3559.jpg

100_3560.jpg

With the saw still set at this angle cut out a small 1" wide batten this will screw onto the back and form a slot for the roof to slide in.

These are the bits

100_3562.jpg

You can nail it together but I like to glue and screw.

So starting with the back drill three screw holes down each side, and screw on the sides making sure that the two side are level with each other.

100_3563.jpg

Do the same with the front

100_3564.jpg

Then sit the box on top of a piece off wood that will make the base, and from the inside mark the base and cut it out.

100_3565.jpg

Assemble the base so that it sits about 1/4" inside the box so that water will shed over the outside.

Then screw the short roof batten to the back so that the roof fits under it.

100_3569.jpg

Don't glue the roof in place just fasten it with two screws at the front of the box this is so it can easily be removed for cleaning out the box out after the lodgers have fledged.

Drill an entrance hole toward the top of the box this is so predators can't reach the chick inside

100_3570.jpg

Her we are two done

100_3572.jpg

Hole sizes these are for UK species

26mm Blue Tits, Coal Tits, March Tits,

28mm Great Tits

32mm Sparrows

Open front Leave top half of the front open:- for Black Bird

You can modify this basic design for other species such as bat boxes.

Sparrows like to nest communally so I've made a Sparrow tower. The decline of Sparrows has been partly put down to lack of suitable nest sites due to changes in building practices.

This is my Sparrow tower and bat box, the tower is used but we've never had a bat

100_3574.jpg

This is the box I made with my son it still get used twenty years on.

100_3575.jpg

It's not to late in the year to get a box made and for a pair of birds to raise a brood:- so get box making.

Have fun

Stew

Nice work Stewart--And its funny the difference in terminologys. Here in Canada (and in USA) thats a "Bird House". My first thought on seeing "nest box" in a thread title was that either its a place for the cat to have kittens, or some steam engine boiler terminology I'm not familiar with. ;D ;D---Brian

I should really make a few, but mine need to be larger for parrots.

I had a long dead tree fall down last year which has so far provided me with probably close to a ton of fire wood, but every breeding season it always had one or two active nests in the hollows.

I have one of those on the side of the garage. The state gives them away at outdoor events. they are made at local prison. So you just need to know when and where to pick up on or two.
Tin

The only thing missing is a miniature steam generator for the birds.
With electricity, the bats might come to party with the sparrows.

Looks great, this brings back memories.

Kel

I have never built a nest box, but we do have a mating pair of
Mourning Doves who have decided our back porch is their domain.

Here are a few of last years pictures.

DoveonNest2-1.jpg

DovesHatching.jpg

GrowingUp-1.jpg

Not that I am interested in them at all.
The camera just happened to go off when it was pointed at that nest. ;)

And, that are back again this year.

Rick

Get these guys every year who take over the barn shop. Have no idea what they are but sure are fast. These are last years brood. Another month or so and the new crop should be a starting.

tweeters.jpg

That's a nice post Stew. Appreciate the pics.

I can certainly relate to the topic. I live on a bit of land here in CA and the wife is a member of the Sierra Club. For the last twenty years she has been part of an effort to save the Western Bluebirds and as a result, we have what is referred to as a bird trail that runs around the acreage with a nest box every 25 to 30 feet. Along with Bluebirds we have houses for Titmouse, Wren, Flycatchers, Orioles and some others that I can't think of right now. I suppose I have upwards of 50 boxes around here.

My method of building them has evolved over the years, now I use a nail gun instead of screws except for the side panel which swivels down for access. I also use fencing cedar which is lightweight and holds up to the weather. I don't see any ventilation holes in your boxes, maybe because you're not in California...

-Trout

Foozer said:
Get these guys every year who take over the barn shop. Have no idea what they are but sure are fast. These are last years brood. Another month or so and the new crop should be a starting.

tweeters.jpg

They are Barn Swallows.

I have just managed to get the birdbox that Stew made for me stuck up on a wall.

I think that once the steps are gone, it should be in a fairly safe area from my marauding feline Vinnie, and once the clematis gets it's new growth going, it should have a nice bit of camouflage as well.

birdy.jpg

All we need now are some non paying residents.

Here birdy, birdy, cheep, cheep.

Bogs

your about half as likely to get a large red wasp nest in one of those things as you are a bird. :eek: In my experiences that is.

Other spots on the globe most likely fare better with tenants?

Kermit

Kermit,

They tried that when I first built my shop, in the garden storage area, before conversion to a back shop room. A quick squirt with WD40 spray on the 6" diameter nest, and they decided to vacate the premises. Never seen wing or sting of them since.

Yet another use for WD40.

Bogs

Bogs,

You could also use Duct Tape, but it is much tedious. Little buggers won't hold still!

Jerry

When building the boxes and occasionally after, my wife rubs a bar of soap on the ceiling. Seems to work like a charm.

-Trout

I've had wasps :eek: and Bumble Bees ;D use my nest boxes, the Bees get left alone but the the wasps get shut out I jamb a cork in the entrance hole after a couple of days no more wasps. :)

Stew

Back