Machine taper adapters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13AL

Reaction score
Found a new w/key Jacobs #0 0-5/32 chuck at a flea market last weekend, bought it for a little less than the cost of a can of soda.
I would like to use it on my mini drill press but need an adaptor, the drill press is JT33 and the chuck is JT0, so the adapter would need to be 33 female on one end and 0 male on the other. I have Yah-googled till my my fingers were numb and found nothing.
Me making one is out of the question, although it may be good material for the humor section.
I did find a JT0 x 3/8 straight that could be chucked into the larger chuck but I already have a clearance issue.
Any ideas??
Kurt

I am not sure what type of drill press you have but most have an arbour that can be removed. ie the JT33 part of the drill press is most often on an arbour that has a MT3 or some such thing on the other end. So you can take the MT3-JT33 arbour out and replace it with MT3-whatever.

No such luck, the spindle is one piece, I should have stated that.
Good idea though, thanks.
Kurt

Kurt,your chuck may have a removable arbor.Open the chuck right out,and check the inside.There may be a screw in there,which you could remove to release the arbor.On many chucks,this screw will have a left hand thread,so try turning to the right first.If there's no screw,it may simply be a taper fit,in which case it should also be removable.The only chucks I've seen with an integral arbor are the types fitted to cheap battery drills.YMMV.

thanks guys for the suggestions.
Mixdenny- that is the closest I have seen, i'll see what more I can find out.

Bentprop- (is that air or water?) the chuck has a female JT0 taper and the drill press it is to be used on has a male JT33, apparently the chuck is for a jewlers lathe tail stock and would normally be used with a male/male adaptor.

I would like to have the adaptor stay with the chuck when removed from the drill press.
I'll keep searching, thanks for the ideas.
Kurt

ok i know how to do this i have done it heaps of time but well i was cleaning the accessories of my lathe and got to the 4 jaw chuck no problems a bit of DW40 and its all sweet but then i went to get my 3 jaw chuck off the lathe and i hit a snag it wont come off :mad: i put the key in turned it anti clockwise on all 3 pins and nothing it wont even budge :mad: im thinking all the grease has made a seal so i put DW40 on it nothing still wont budge. im not sure what im doing wrong but i really dont want to go ape and beat the accuracy out of it

can anyone help me?

Latest posts

Back