LTD engine mods

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
I decided to gift one of my LTD engines but before it goes to a new home wanted to add some things that at the time of the build I used what I had. One thing was the displacer chamber I had used a piece of PCV pipe it worked but didn't look to good. So I decided to weld up some polycarb and to cut a ring for replacing the pipe.

The stuff welded up nicely.
RING4.jpg

Clamped up on NC to cut the OD.
RING5.jpg

Added a couple outside clamps and machined the ID.
RING3.jpg

Finished.
RING2.jpg

The engine it will be going into.
RING.jpg

That looks really good. could you explain the process of welding polycarb together that you used. I have one of Jan's Ltd engines in progress and had a tough time finding this piece. I ended up with a length of 4" 1/4 wall acrylic tube.

thanks tom

Welding polycarbonate together the way I do it is clean pieces well with (what I use) denatured alcohol.
Then I just wet the seam side with acetone and clamp the other piece to it let dry over night and the pieces will be fused together. And if you had thing clean you cant even see the bond joint. After machining give the milled surfaces a wipe with some acetone and they will clear right up. With this process you can take sheets of poly and make blocks any size you need.

Hi Doc.
Where do the camshaft in the background, in the last picture go ;)
BTW: Nice work
Best.
CS

Thanks CS
Thats just a piece I was playing with testing the waters sort to speak ;)
Working on creating a fixture to cut the camshaft lobes on my NC thinking of starting on a flat head v8. But not sure if I want to dive into that yet or not.

Thanks Doc I have some sheet poly kicking around, now I have a way to use it

tom

Latest posts

Back