Looking for Lee DeGood & Tom Forward

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZAPJACK

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Sorry for this unusual request, but I need help of one of them to fit ignition of Red Devil Engine
Thanks for help :bow: :bow:
Regards
LeZap

Whatever the engine ignitors always take a while to get set up as there are so many variables, time it trips, dwell, spring tensions etc. Are you getting a spark from the ignitor when its out of the engine?

You look to have very good plans with an assembly drawings on my first ignitor equiped engien I had poor plans and no indication of how it all went together.

What are you using for your low tension coil and fuel?

J

I'm using the low tension side of a standard high tension coil + car battery 12v
Fit at 0° when openning. Check with Ohm-meter
I also use tungsten point on the breaker, but only 0.5mm (0.02") clearance perhaps it's a little bit short ??
And standard commercial gasoline with 5% castor-oil mix.
Engine run free, exhaus valve fit just after BDC.
Thanks
LeZap

Hi LeZap;

Just my thoughts about your ignition system based on my limited experience with model and full size ignitors.
Primary side of an ignition coil works well
Trip is timing point
Needs strong spring tension when closed to snap open quickly
Tungsten points will not work well, tungsten frosts when it is arced and will loose contact
A nickle based metal is whats needed( nickle welding rod )
Oil in the fuel will cause contact problems.
A little larger opened gap will help prevent fuel droplets bridging the contacts

Peter

Tom had a stroke and is in a care facility. Lee sold all of his engines and is no longer doing much of that type of work. If you really have to get in touch with them send me a private message and I will forward it to Lee.

Latest posts

Back