Looking for Hex Head Brass Screws

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enginemaker1

Reaction score
I have been looking for #10-32 x 1/2 solid brass hex head screws for the cylinder heads of this engine that I am building. I can't find a supplier. Any help. ???

Tom

100_0638.jpg

I too searched for this size with out any luck. Its just one of the reasons I mainly use readily available cap screws.

10-32 being a machine screw size, is not usually available in brass as a hex head bolt.

Generally available 1/4-20 and up, or micro sizes like 0-80, 2-56, etc.

One option if not the only, is to make your own.

It should not be too difficult to machine down brass hex stock, and thread for 10-32.

Maybe some other members knows of a source?

BTW- Your engine looks great! :)

-MB

Check out the board member who recently set up his lathe with a turret tailstock to make this type of thing. Begging, crying or whining might get some bolts made.

bearcar1 said:
Tom, have a look here or give them a call. I'm certain they have what you are looking for.

http://www.americanmodeleng.com/

BC1
Jim

After going to the website just now myself I see that their listing of hardware only shows nuts and washers etc. Their catalog however is a bit more detailed and shows a listing for 10-32 x 1/2" brass hex head screws as being part #HCS8081 in quantities of 25 and 100. I have since misplaced their pricing but they do carry these in stock and are extremely nice folks to deal with.

** edited ** to reflect hex head screws NOT cap screws, gees, no wonder I got looked at like I had a third eye, sorry.

BC1
Jim

A nice looking model!

You could also use studs and nuts, but the scale bolts from americanmodeleng should be good too. Just don't use Allen head capscrews!!! I think they totally ruin the appearance of a model, particularly a steam engine.

Thanks for the help all. I will be working on the governor and valve linkage soon. Muck to do and not enough time.

Tom

Latest posts

Back