• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for CNC Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thivoth

Reaction score
Hey, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'm planning on getting a CNC Lathe. The thing is I'm not sure which one to get, as I'm still a novice.
I was thinking of getting a used one instead of a new one exactly because of that (I don't want any regrets later). Anyway, I found some used ones on http://www.surplex.com/en/home.html but I would like to hear some opinions first. Much appreciated!

Bob over at CNC cookbook has one of the new Tormach slant CNC lathes for beta testing. Have a look at his blog. He has the most info on the machine so far.

With new it is plug it in turn it on and go. With used it may be find the problems it has fix the problems. Find out that it needs rebuilding, rebuild. Some time later you are making parts.

Here is a link to Bob's blog

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2013/09/15/new-machine-day-tormach-cnc-lathe/

Dave

Without knowing the how's, whys and what's we have little chance of helping you out.

Hey, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'm planning on getting a CNC Lathe. The thing is I'm not sure which one to get, as I'm still a novice. I was thinking of getting a used one instead of a new one exactly because of that (I don't want any regrets later). Anyway, I found some used ones on http://www.surplex.com/en/home.html but I would like to hear some opinions first. Much appreciated!

Hey, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'm planning on getting a CNC Lathe. The thing is I'm not sure which one to get, as I'm still a novice.

Why as a novice do you think you need a cnc lathe. IMHO wiser to start with a manual lathe and learn machining and then move into cnc . That is unless you have taken a few cnc classes in college or tech school.
this is like someone with a driver permit wanting a robotic car. But you are still learning to drive and you need a gps to find your way across town.
With cnc you better know where you are going and how to get there.
Tin

Machinery resellers have almost no lathes that are/have been targeted at hobbyists. In that world you have a couple of choices:

1) Very small CNC lathes like those sold by Sherline or Taig

2) The intermediate lathes like the Tormach (still not on the market) and one from Novakon, which sells for about $10K You could also look at converted Chinese lathes like those sold by MicroKinetics, although I've read poor reviews on those.

The Tormach appears to be a chucker type, meaning intended for short round stock using collets. No tailstock. This type of lathe can produce production parts very rapidly assuming barstock is fed through the spindle.

i had a look at that web site as well.... so where are you from Germany or Barcelona? cos that will cost a bit shipping it over to the US.

as Kvom says there is not much out there for us hobby dudes in the way of cnc turning, apart from Sherline or Taig (little ones)

over in the UK there is a company called Boxford that make cnc stuff for educational places.... training places..... collage, university's etc. every now and then a second hand one comes up. as they tend to have no software there cheap, so what people do is convert them to Mach. its a cheap way of getting a very good cnc lathe.

i have a boxoford 240TCL that someone else converted to Mach then sold it to me for £2500 it's been fault less since i got it (touch wood)

do a search for "boxford cnc lathe" see what you find :)

Now thats not too bad of a deal for someone that is willing to tinker.
Buying both machines and a few minor repairs and adjustments then the buyer could be up and running.
(the poor table on the mill looks as though it has a hard life)

Obviously the buyer would ask a few questions in regards to exactly what is there and also any parts that are missing or need replacing.

It could be possible to have a functioning mill and lathe package for well under $2000.00 USD

Baz.

Last edited:
I don't like it. It weighs 82 pounds so there is very little cast iron there. The chuck has solid jaws so no soft jaws can be fitted.

Dave

You may want to consider 2 other manufacturers of cnc lathes, even though they will be from the late 1980's era many have been stored in Tech school/colleges and many have had very little use, so mechanical condition shouldn't be an issue.
The lathes are Emco Compact 5 cnc and Emco 5PC, the Compact 5 has it's own built-in computer so is a stand alone working unit, coding is by G & M codes as listed on the front panel of the machine, later models had many improved cylce codes to use.
The PC model uses a cable connection to a computer for control so if the computer is available as a package with the lathe it would be advisable to check before purchase that the original Emco software is loaded and functioning.
In the case of the PC model it can be easily converted to operate under Mach control by simply adding some links to the on board circuit board, the original steppers and controllers would be utilised.
Other cnc lathes are UK made Denford models,such as Starturn, Orac and others, these are all cast iron construction and built for training establishments.
Suggest you do web search for above, also look up the Yahoo group Emco 5 cnc lathes,
lots of pictures and specs of lathes are there.
Rgds, Emgee

Emco 3 quarter view.jpg

Full view.jpg

...emphasis on the Spectra**LIGHT** Under all that nifty enclosure is a Sherline lathe. Very small & light duty. The electronics don't convert easily to Mach either although there is a thread showing how one brilliant electronics wizard hacked into it to get Mach (or was it LinuxCNC) control. Not much there to work with unfortunately.:(

Thanks for the links and the replies, guys. I'm glad I asked you... I don't think I'll be getting a Lathe after all. For some reason I thought I could handle it.

If you can't handle a CNC lathe (and I'm pretty sure I couldn't) maybe a small manual lathe would be better for you. Once you learn the craft of turning, speeds, feeds, etc, the jump to CNC won't be so huge. For me, buying a lathe was one of the best ideas I've ever had.

Back