Looking for Alum.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paswest

Reaction score
Hi, I am presently in Florida, and looking for Alum to dissolve a tap in a brass part.
In which store should I be looking?
Thanks

In the spice rack in the supermarket. I got some yesterday. Now I want to know how much to dissolve in the water.

My local food store doesn't carry it. However, the ares Super Walmart does. Both carry McCormic brand spices; why one carries it and the other doesn't; I don't know.

In my area, drugstores carry it, as well as in the canning section of the local food market.

I tried two Walmart Superstores and I when to Publix (grocery store) didn't find anything. Any suggestions ?

Yes, again, try a drugstore. I've also bought it in the local health food store.

I found it in the local grocery store in the mcormick spice section. Should look like this:
0005210000214_500X500.jpg

So this Alum dissolves taps etc and yet you can eat/drink(?) it!!

What is it??

Regards,

Ron. (UK)

From Dictionary.com

al·um1    [al-uhm] Show IPA
noun Chemistry .
1. Also called potash alum, potassium alum. a crystalline solid, aluminum potassium sulfate, K 2 SO 4 ⋅Al 2 (SO 4 ) 3 ⋅24H 2 O, used in medicine as an astringent and styptic, in dyeing and tanning, and in many technical processes.
2. one of a class of double sulfates analogous to the potassium alum, as aluminum ammonium sulfate, having the general formula R 2 SO 4 ⋅X 2 (SO 4 ) 3 ⋅24H 2 O, where R is a univalent alkali metal or ammonium, and X one of a number of trivalent metals.
3. (not in technical use) aluminum sulfate.

blood rusts iron yet we need it to live

hematite is an iron ore and our blood has haemoglobin in it

Stuart

Ah, I see thank you.
Now is it best to use in it's pure state, or would it make much difference if mixed with whatever foodstuff that comes with it as with the McCormick jar? Does this contain what looks to be sugar or salt?
This is not a silly question as I might have need for this one day.

Kind regards,

Ron.

ronkh said:
Ah, I see thank you.
Now is it best to use in it's pure state, or would it make much difference if mixed with whatever foodstuff that comes with it as with the McCormick jar? Does this contain what looks to be sugar or salt?
This is not a silly question as I might have need for this one day.

Kind regards,

Ron.

What the jar contains is alum. It is not mixed with anything in the jar. Since it is a soluble salt (most salts are,) you can dissolve it in water. Make the water as hot as possible and keep adding the alum until no more dissolves. Assuming that the broken tap is in aluminum, this solution is supposed to, over time, dissolve the tap.
If you have some alum left I believe that you can use it in some pickling recipes. This is of course for pickling vegetables like cucumbers, not pickling soldered parts. ::)
Alan

Thank you Alan. That cleared it for me, also thanks to Tech and Stuart.

I Know I could of Goggled it but the replies are so much better on here.

Ron.

Thanks, find it at Sweetbay grocery store. Now I have to try it.
Alain

Latest posts

Back