Looking for a Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi to all,

This is totally irelevant to the original OP, but I have an X1 with extended table, a cnc enabled Taig, a Sherline 5400 ~ 2000 and if I had the money right now I'd go with this one below, manufactured between 1950~1960 in about the same place as the now defunct Myfords in Nottingham UK and no longer available. I think it is a dream machine to have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300846638953?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Regards,

I don't know about Hare & Forbes in your neck of the woods but I have not had a very positive experience with the Coopers Plains (Brisbane) branch. They don't seem to be interested in the hobbyist at all. I did intend to purchase a HM-46 from them but after my experience with them and their lack of interest (not the only time I have had this response), I ended up buying a TM45FG from Titan Machinery. It's a little bigger than the X3 but well worth the money IMHO. Freight may be a killer, but if you contact Stuart he will get the best deal for you.

So far, I am very happy with the TM45FG, it came with stand, 2 Drill Chucks and arbors (R8 same as Bridgeport), a nice heavy duty swivel Vice, hold down clamp set and ER25 Collet chuck and collets to hold the endmills. It has auto tapping also which works quite well. :)

Also, check out Asset Plant & Machinery in Melbourne, they have a good range of bench mills and their service is excellent. http://www.assetplant.com

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

The TM45FG looks a nice machine and comes with some nice extras, what would be the minimum space need around it?
Probably to big for the space I have.

In looking at the Titon milling machines I came across these Titan TM30V Milling Machine but cant find any one that has used them, plenty info on the TM20V
Are they the equivalent to the Sieg X3?

The TM20V Has a Spindle taper: R8 and the TM30V has a Spindle taper: MT3 do you know why?

Sent Asset an email just waiting for a reply, going by web site they don't stock smaller machines any more. I bought a 9 X 20 lathe from them a couple years ago.

Cheers,
Mark.

I don't know about Hare & Forbes in your neck of the woods but I have not had a very positive experience with the Coopers Plains (Brisbane) branch. They don't seem to be interested in the hobbyist at all.

Strange, I have had good service from the same branch. They set me up in their computer and every invoice goes against my record so they have the complete history of my business and have even delivered stuff to home when on back order. Don't let my wife see their list!

I have a new lathe AL320G to pick up on the weekend when it comes up from Sydney and the young guy was good to deal with.

Hi Andy,

The TM45FG looks a nice machine and comes with some nice extras, what would be the minimum space need around it?
Probably to big for the space I have.

In looking at the Titon milling machines I came across these Titan TM30V Milling Machine but cant find any one that has used them, plenty info on the TM20V
Are they the equivalent to the Sieg X3?

The TM20V Has a Spindle taper: R8 and the TM30V has a Spindle taper: MT3 do you know why?

Sent Asset an email just waiting for a reply, going by web site they don't stock smaller machines any more. I bought a 9 X 20 lathe from them a couple years ago.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark, if you were drawing a floor plan you would need 1800W x 1500D and the machine is a little less than 1800H or so High. I didn't measure it with the Z-Axis in the fully up position though, I just went by the specs ;).

You could leave one of the side handles off and limit the table travel a little and squeeze it into 1500W x 1500D on the floor but I would say that would be the absolute minimum. The specs say that I have 500mm X-Axis travel but I would swear there is more than that. More like 500mm each side of center or 1000mm total, but that is a rough guesstimate. I will know for sure when I measure up for the DRO.

I have no idea why the TM20V and TM30V have different spindles .... R8 would be preferable though. I think the TM30V is about the same size as the X3?? I haven't checked the specs though.

If you have a lathe it might be convenient to have an MT taper? The R8 taper doesn't jam like the MT tapers do and it has a key to prevent rotation, both good things on a mill. :D

On the Asset website, I noticed that they had at least one mill under the drill heading, last page in the listing, might be worth another look?

I bought my SM-1022A Lathe from Asset also, and had an excellent response when I told them that some of the change gears were missing. They sent them to me at no cost and generally were very professional and appreciative of my custom.

Strange, I have had good service from the same branch. They set me up in their computer and every invoice goes against my record so they have the complete history of my business and have even delivered stuff to home when on back order. Don't let my wife see their list!

I have a new lathe AL320G to pick up on the weekend when it comes up from Sydney and the young guy was good to deal with.

Rod, maybe they just don't like bikers?

Just before Xmas 2012 I was online looking to buy the HM-46 but it was showing as out of stock, so I rang 'that' branch and spoke to Dave (Manager). He assured me that they had plenty of stock and he also told me that delivery would be ~$150, considerably more than is quoted on the website.

I agreed to pay the delivery fee and he assured me that he would arrange everything and get back to me. I'm still waiting to hear from him, and yes I gave him my details and yes I have purchased from them before. I bought a T&C Grinder from them not so long ago, so my details were recorded yet again.

This is just the latest incident, there have been many similar incidents in the past. I no longer deal with them. I prefer to give my business to people who appreciate it, even if I am a small fish in a big lake.

Hi to all,

This is totally irelevant to the original OP, but I have an X1 with extended table, a cnc enabled Taig, a Sherline 5400 ~ 2000 and if I had the money right now I'd go with this one below, manufactured between 1950~1960 in about the same place as the now defunct Myfords in Nottingham UK and no longer available. I think it is a dream machine to have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300846638953?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Regards,

I believe MyfordBoy of YouTube fame has a similar machine to that. It's a very capable machine but does lack some vertical travel. Still, I wouldn't complain if it was in my workshop either ;)

Not sure if it has ben mentioned yet. The other machine similar size to the X3 (but apparently more robust) I just tracked down is the Titan TM20V. It has an R8 spindle.

I phoned stewart there and have emailed a request for a quote. He has it listed on eBAy but said he does a better price direct as he does not have to cover the fees.

I think it must be apretty new machine but ther is a video of it on his ebay listing which I can't find again. But his contact numbers are on this page down the bottom http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/TM20V-MILLING-MACHINE/9728/

Hiya

I have an AMA25LV from amadeal in the UK. This is the same machine as the TM20V I beleive, but likely has some differences. I am very happy with the machine and is nice and sturdy. They are rebadged Weiss mills. I paid extra for a powerfeed and a Sino DRO and it's been a pleasure to work with. I have also used a Taig Mill, X2 and the standard X3 and I prefer the Weiss/AMA/TM over all of them. And over here are at least they are generally cheaper.

Although mine came with MT3 taper.

Thanks

DJH

Glad you found it Mark, DJH Good feedback if it is the same one. Still waiting for a reply from Titan though. Maybe I got the email wrong. I have seen the power feed unit in overseas listings but not available here.

Mark You could always buy my 3-in-1 which is listed for sale on eBay at the moment. :)
Might be a bit far to come and pick up though! Whats 2500 km between friends!

Mark, if it's any consolation, I have measured up my machine for the DRO. I plan to order it later this morning. Still haven't decided whether to go with the Meister BOLTS3 (I have a Meister ARC2 on the lathe) or with this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251216617269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The Axis travels for the TM45FG are as follows:

Y-Axis = 240mm from stop to stop. (Not enough if you ask me :()
X-Axis = 550mm from stop to stop. (I'm a little disappointed about that, would have sworn it was more :( I guess the 800mm table makes it seem like more.)
Z-Axis = 130mm from stop to stop. (Quill only, the head moves considerably more.)

Last edited:
Andy, when I get to adding DRO's I probably would go to the DRO store. However, they Might be cheaper direct, rather than eBay. http://www.thedrostore.com/

Got the TM20V price. $1690, stand $235, shipping $113, optional insurance 2% of the value of goods.

That puts the price $200 under H&F's special pricing they have going this month for a Sx3 and stand. Decisions, decisions!

Paid for my lathe yesterday, will pick it up today so will see if H&F have a bit more in them while I am spending money with them. I noticed that the Titan only has 50mm quill travel which might be a pain for me if I am ditching my drill press.

Andy, what side of Brissy are you?

Glad you found it Mark, DJH Good feedback if it is the same one. Still waiting for a reply from Titan though. Maybe I got the email wrong. I have seen the power feed unit in overseas listings but not available here.

Mark You could always buy my 3-in-1 which is listed for sale on eBay at the moment. :)
Might be a bit far to come and pick up though! Whats 2500 km between friends!

Unfortunly the 3-in-1 is way to big for the limited space I have in my shed :(

Found this on www.machines4u.com.au

http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/MILL-DRILL-POWER-FEED-240V-no-transformer-needed-/63085/

I just got a couple emails from Titain they are just you tube vidios about a CNC machine.

Mark, if it's any consolation, I have measured up my machine for the DRO. I plan to order it later this morning. Still haven't decided whether to go with the Meister BOLTS3 (I have a Meister ARC2 on the lathe) or with this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251216617269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The Axis travels for the TM45FG are as follows:

Y-Axis = 240mm from stop to stop. (Not enough if you ask me :()
X-Axis = 550mm from stop to stop. (I'm a little disappointed about that, would have sworn it was more :( I guess the 800mm table makes it seem like more.)
Z-Axis = 130mm from stop to stop. (Quill only, the head moves considerably more.)

Andy, That is the mob that I bought my DRO for my lathe from, I was thinking of the same for the mill when I get it,so it will not be confusing.

Unfortunaly the TM45FG will be to big for my shed I reckon, will measure up better on weekend.

Last edited:
Andy

when buying from Titan ensure that you are completely satisfied with the guarantee to the extent that I would insist on a 24 month guarantee period. Ask me why I know.

If you are buying a SIEG machine, the mob in Adelaide are by far the best price for the machine & shipping. $ 850 for the SX2 plus $80 delivery beats the Titan price for the same machine by around $ 300.

Bernard

Andy, when I get to adding DRO's I probably would go to the DRO store. However, they Might be cheaper direct, rather than eBay. http://www.thedrostore.com/

Got the TM20V price. $1690, stand $235, shipping $113, optional insurance 2% of the value of goods.

That puts the price $200 under H&F's special pricing they have going this month for a Sx3 and stand. Decisions, decisions!

Paid for my lathe yesterday, will pick it up today so will see if H&F have a bit more in them while I am spending money with them. I noticed that the Titan only has 50mm quill travel which might be a pain for me if I am ditching my drill press.

Andy, what side of Brissy are you?

Rod, did you have a look at the TM30v it has 80mm quill travel.

H& F should give you a good discount on a mill after what you have spent there/

Latest posts

Back