Looking for a Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wm460

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a mill, about the size of a Sieg X2 or X3 or Sieg Super X3.
I need the Mill to be available in Aust.
I know everyone always tells you bigger is better but that is about the size I can squeeze in to my shed.

I would love to hear your pro's and con's of these machines!

Have a great new year.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
For my 2 cents worth, I would recommend that if you go as big as the X3 then you don't go with the X3Super.
One of my mills is an X3S and I have had a variety of problems with it ( all electronic ), so if I had my time again I would just go for the standard X3.
Cheers.:)

Not got one myself but I believe they are quite well regarded.

x-2 I have one I would say the pros are price and portability.
con a little under powered in original form and the work envelope a bit small . the gib should be replaced for smooth movement of the table. z adjust unpredictable but a dial indicator is an easy workaround.

x-3 more money and more work rigging to move. probable an easy two man job. but every x-3 owner I have talked to like it and it is a more capable easier to use machine than the x-2.

Sx-3 no real recommendation either way. IIRC more electronic controls over the x-3. IMHO any machine you bring in the home shop you need to be willing and able to troubleshoot and repair. this board can help with that.

If you are comfortable with electronics and believe the added features will help you go for the x-3 . If you no nothing about electronics and question the need and benefit of the added electronics stick with a simpler machine.
Tin

As Tin says, the electronics on some small mills can be an expensive problem to repair. Another thing that can be a problem is stripped (plastic!) gears. There are mods on the net for this as well though. It's very easy to over work these small mills so buy bigger if you can.

I have a SX3,

Been flogging it for 3 years now, never let me down, the only thing I have done is a Fusion cnc kit and 5000 rpm spindle upgrade. the original electronics have been good. Plenty of grunt too.

Hare and forbes is the go if you are in Australia.

They offer a HM45 which looks good as-well, slightly bigger and beefier than the SX3. Also only about 500 bucks more than the SX3

Baz

Thanks for your replies.
How much area do you need around these mills?
Looking at the Hare and Forbes Delivery Estimate is $694 to TC and Alice Springs it is $619, TC is 500km closer to Brisbane :mad::mad:
The HM-46 they want $898 for the freight :eek: bigger machine bigger footprint??

ausdier, just wondering what you mean by " if you go as big as the X3 " I thought these war a small mill.

Tin Falcon, I don't know much about electronics, My both my big wood lathe and my metal lathes are variable speed , one of my small wood lathe is getting a variable speed motor very soon, guess I am spoilt this way.

rcfreak177, tell me more about the Fusion cnc kit and 5000 rpm spindle upgrade.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I've been looking at mills too and have looked at the offerings at Hare and Forbes Brisbane showroom. I have run a tape over the Seig mills and aside from the wider table, they will fit in the same footprint as a pedestal drill press. If space is at a premium, there is no way one if their other mills will fit.

I think the Seig will fit in my space nd if you live in the Alice, I would not get the Super as it has more electronics. You can get CNC kits here http://www.cnckits.com.au/

I have also looked at the DMF42 which is also quite compact but I have not looked at it in the flesh. http://www.shawmachinery.com.au/mills.html from what I could work out, they have a pretty good reputation.

I have found the right size mill better The bigger the mill the harder it is to use and the tooling will cost more.
My self I had planer mill 144" down to a Hardinge mill that had a 12" table
The 12" Hardinge was fun and low cost. the 144 was not fun and cost a lot to run
I have even had lot of Bridgeports they can still be to big for a small shop
Today I have a small bench mill with SB 9 both does ever thing I need fits in my small Garge shop with my wife's car.
FYI ever one is very happy

Dave

I am thinking of buying a mill, about the size of a Sieg X2 or X3 or Sieg Super X3.
I need the Mill to be available in Aust.
I know everyone always tells you bigger is better but that is about the size I can squeeze in to my shed.

I would love to hear your pro's and con's of these machines!

Have a great new year.

Thanks for your replies.
Looked at those links Rod, that CNC looks interesting but I am not a computer persn.
The DMF42 would be to bigg I'd recokn at 350KG.

Ever heard of the German Wabeco mills?

The difference in freight costs is cause it will go through Adelaide. yep nucking futz but that is the way **** works.
I have had stuff shipped rom Darwin to Townsville. waited a week and enquired as to where the gear was and when it could be expected to arrive. was told "another ten days or so" your are ****ting me I says. Nup he says all NT freight goes trough SA. Told em well forget it and return the stuff, I wont be here to use it.

Tom R

If you can swing the X3, go for it. It is worlds more solid that the X2 and slightly bigger. The solid part is what you will really enjoy. I have an X2, and have used an X3 CNC. Worlds different. Added weight helps with stability and the design is much stronger.

G'day Mark,

Very nice.
I am under the understanding they are of ultra high quality.

There is a dealer in Australia for them.
http://wabeco.com.au/

8500k is big bucks for that same machine if purchased locally though, mind you probably last the time.

PS, nice looking heeler in your profile picture.

Baz

Last edited:
They look like they have great mills and lathes
FYI bigger is not allway better just think of your doctor and big:eek::eek::eek:

Dave

G'day Mark,

Very nice.
I am under the understanding they are of ultra high quality.

There is a dealer in Australia for them.
http://wabeco.com.au/

8500k is big bucks for that same machine if purchased locally though, mind you probably last the time.

PS, nice looking heeler in your profile picture.

Baz

I've been looking at mills too and have looked at the offerings at Hare and Forbes Brisbane showroom. I have run a tape over the Seig mills and aside from the wider table, they will fit in the same footprint as a pedestal drill press. If space is at a premium, there is no way one if their other mills will fit.

I think the Seig will fit in my space nd if you live in the Alice, I would not get the Super as it has more electronics. You can get CNC kits here http://www.cnckits.com.au/

I have also looked at the DMF42 which is also quite compact but I have not looked at it in the flesh. http://www.shawmachinery.com.au/mills.html from what I could work out, they have a pretty good reputation.

I have been told that Hare and Forbes have a 3 day sale in March, looking at the flyer from their Nov sale there is a $200 savings on these mills.

I have been told that Hare and Forbes have a 3 day sale in March, looking at the flyer from their Nov sale there is a $200 savings on these mills.

That sounds about right. From the November sale which I bought a few bits at, it looked like they put about 10% off everything across the board with more on some items.

Also don't discount some of the South Aust based ebay sellers given your location. I have bought some small bits from this guy but there are a couple of others too http://stores.ebay.com.au/ozmestore1

Hi, I'm new to the site - but I wanted to reply to your question regarding mill - "which to buy". I have owned the Grizzly version of the X3 for about 5 years now. Last year completed converting it to a 4 axis cnc running Mach3 and Cambam. So I've used it as a standard mill and as a cnc. The only disadvantage I've found is openings low on the back guard which covers the area the electronics are housed in - chips will find there way in to this area. Other then this easy to fix problem - I love the mill. I've even machined gun parts (very critical to tolerances) . The best modification in my opinion you can add to the X3 is a DRO. The grizzly version of the X3 is a model G0463.

If I can help in any way - please let me know.

Tim

Latest posts

Back