Longboys "SENTINEL" OHC I/C engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the initial start up of Sentinel it would just hit a few times and stall. After playing around with the cam and ignition timing a few degrees and no difference, I felt the compression was too high. The power stroke wasn't enough to overcome the compression for the next cycle. I removed the 3 washers in the conrod beam and the engine responded a few more beats. After shortening the beam 3/32nds and reinstall, the engine ran and it was just a matter of setting fuel mix for a steady idle. Here checking the height, piston to top of cylinder to get numbers for a volume check. No need to check cylinder head volume separately as the cylinder itself is the combustion chamber here ( it bottoms to internal roof of head) and plugging the numbers into a static compression ratio calculator indicates a 3.3 compression ratio. The black O-ring around cyl. is the head gasket.
IMG_0203.jpg

compspecial said:
Great sound Longboy, and a steady runner too like an old BSA :). can you tell me what takes the thrust from the cams, I don't see any tappets, does your engine rely on the generous sized guides you have used?
Stew
Thanks Stew, What you are looking at is a bucket tappet that the cam lobes push on. The bucket cages the valvespring over the valve guide and are threaded to the valve stems. The cam sprocket and the fan pulley ride on the inner bearing race in cam towers for thrust control so the lobes don't walk off the buckets. Dave.

Great looking engine and very nice runner. I like your design.

Chuck

Hi Dave,

Congratulations!!!

Your engine is very, very cool!!!

Take care,

Alexandre

Back