Loco linkage question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMyers

Reaction score
I am building a little 0-4-0 from some Internet plans. How should the cylinders and linkage be phased from one side of the engine to the other. Should the both cylinders be at tdc at the same time, should one cylinder be at tdc while the other is at bdc or some other variation ?

crank pins 90 degree apart with the right hand leading

then it should self start if all the rest is built Ok

you say internet plans is the valve gear proven if not search with google for a simulation program for your breed of gear , I use a mac so they are useless to me I have to draw it out first

Stuart

without seeing the plans and more info hard to say . What do the plans say is there instructions somewhere? the plans should give timing info . sounds like someone copied plans but not the instructions. Is it single action or double that would make a difference.
If I had to guess if the engines are single action I would time 180 degrees apart if DA one should lead by 90 degrees. But just a guess.

Tin

Confirming Stuart's advice, . . . Crankpins always at 90 degrees. The lead hand (right or left) isn't critical although the world standard is right hand lead.

Back