Liney Halo Radial Questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstrauss

Reaction score
I have started a build of a Liney Halo and have a few questions now and probably many more later.

There was a build thread here in 2009 but I find nothing since then. There are several YouTube videos of running engines. The Liney website appears defunct but there is a copy of the plans at https://oferguson.weebly.com/uploads/8/8/5/0/88508824/liney-halo.pdf.

Older versions of the Liney website promise to provide construction tips in addition to the plans. Are these tips available anywhere?

The drawing's parts list shows qty10 0.125 diameter balls and also qty10 0.1875 balls. The larger balls are for the inlet/exit valves; where do the small balls go?

Thanks for your help!

They go on the end of the rod plungers and run on the cams

Attachments

• balls.JPG
    balls.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for the ball location information; I completely missed it. How are the CAM follower balls attached to the rod plungers? For that matter the drawings don't appear to show how the rod plungers attach to the rods.

On a different area, are the intake/exhaust balls pressed into their seats with springs to ensure a seal?

The gap between cam housing and cam does not get above about 0.060" so you just put the loose ball into theguide hole first and then the plunger.

Rods just sit in the recess in the end of the plunger and the socket head of the rocker adjusting screw, the spring pressure on the rockers will keep the rods in place.

Not made it but I think air pressure holds the valve balls on their seats and the valve plunger lifts the ball off it's seat as it's activated by the rocker

Of course! I completely forgot about the small clearance between the cams and the housing. My stupidity since I've actually already made the cams and the cam housing but had not yet drilled the holes for the push rods.

I understand that the air pressure is on the side away from the seat and the drawings do not show a spring on the valve balls. Yesterday I made a sample head to test how well the ball valves work without springs. With the ball passage vertical it seals but when inverted it doesn't. I tried adding a tiny (4mm?) O-ring to the seat with no particular improvement. I plan to mill a recess in the valve cover to provide room for a light, conical, spring between the valve cover and the ball. That will have to wait until I shovel our first, overnight, snowfall!

Latest posts

Back