Edwards Radial 5 Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this might work as a photo sharing site.

radial pic 1.jpg

radial pic 2.jpg

radial pic 3.jpg

radial pic 4.jpg

Hi Guys! It's been a busy year at work and didn't have a lot of free time to build on my Edwards 5. I'm currently into final assembly of the crankcase, and was curious as to how to get oil to the crank pin bearing. The bearing has an oil hole in the side, so possibly a hole in the master rod just below the oil tube coming thru the top of the crankcase? A little oil is better than none, right? Any input on this would be helpful and appreciated

A shout out to Brian -in -Oz, Thanks for the "like"! Been trying to upload pics, with great difficulty (techno inept). It makes a great trophy on the stand I built for it, but alas it still doesn't make noise. My e-mail is [email protected] if anyone has any input or revisions on this engine. Thank you!

Reply for hammerhead 2825

Hi Ken (I guess that's your name from your email address) and I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
I wouldn't be to worried about oil supply to the crankpin and big end bearings if you have built your engine exactly to the plans.
The crankpin bearing is a needle roller and as such has plenty of space for oil to penetrate. Also the oil galleries in the crankcase supplied by the oil pump spray oil over the workings in the crankcase.
On my engine I am amazed at the amount of oil the pump circulates. I have opened the crankcase on my Edwards after running it for a while and there was plenty of oil covering the parts.
Unfortunately I don't have a build on the go at the moment as I got very involved with DIY house renovations after finishing the cam grinder but will get into something soon.
Your engine looks great and I am looking forward to seeing it run.

Cheers Brian

Latest posts

Back