Line shaft

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a great day in the shop today!!! I chucked up a piece of shaft today and on the inside of it was an old style flat pulley!!! I still have to cut the crown on it though.

LutherGrinder009.jpg

Here Is what I have thus far. I need to make a couple of set screws for the tight pulley and clean some more.

LutherGrinder010.jpg

I need to get some flat bar for the tool rests. The originals are long gone now:eek:( That will be a fun lathe project!!!

Now on to the pulleys for the line shaft\o/

That post drill is the cat's meow, Keg. I think you are required to have a handle bar moustache to run one of those things.
:p

Could a 6" beard substitute the mustache? Rof}

I got started on the rims for the pulleys. They are about 12" sch 80 pipe I think? I had to put on the 10" 4 jaw and twist my tool post a little to get enough room. Kind of a big project for a little lathe:eek:) But very doable.

Flatbeltpulley002.jpg

More later today:eek:)

How much fun was that, truing up that flame cut end? Whack, bump, hiss, whack, bump, hiss..
Eeeyow.

Keep us up to date. It's a neat project, Keg.

Dean

You could hear me cussing couldn't you? :eek:) I got it though. I had to run pretty slow. 2 more and I'll be ready to start welding. I have the second pulley rim nearly done. There will be a 1" a 2.25" and a 2.5" pulley.

Flatbeltpulley003.jpg

While the pulley was running, I had a chance to rough out my wooden bearings\o/ I cut them out on my band saw. Then I milled then square.

WoodBearings001.jpg

I'll set up my vise stop to drill the bolt holes. That way they should all lign up fine. I need to get some metal for my bearing hangers next week to.

Wes

Looks great Wes!

I have to ask.
Did that set up hold to true up that flame cut face?
I most likely would have picking that up off the floor
at least once.

I'm looking forward to more updates on the progress.

Rick

Rick, It got a little Wonky, but not bad. We machine pipe at work a LOT!!! I hate it!!! But I guess I'm used to it enough to know how to do it without much trouble? I took pretty small cuts. You have to hold onto it tight enough that it won't end up on the floor, but loose enough that you don't turn it into a square:eek:)

Just thought I would Update this.

I have been roughing out the rims for my pulleys. I'm making three of them. All I have left is to face two of them to legnth. It will take me about an hour to set them up and face them off. Then I can start on the hubs. Those will go faster\o/

This bench grinder is becoming a fun project. I have never restored anything before. It makes me want to do more:eek:) I have an old Buffalo Forge drill press. I am thinking of ways to fix a couple of problems it has. Sun, I was looking at old tools on Ebay. I ran across a smallish wood lathe made in 1932. I got it for $27\o/ It will be fun to make some file handles on it. A few years ago, I bought a BIG surface grinder. I'm going to start working it over this winter.

More pictures soon:eek:)

Hi been following this thread with interest hope you don't mind me postinga couple of pics of line shafting I took at the Blis Mill industrial musium of line shafting.

100_2523-1.jpg

100_2524-1.jpg

When I first started my apprenticeship we had a line of small 1/4 ton presses driven by line shafting, making steel links for machine guns, the presses were operated by young girls a women, being on the shy side they scared me to death, but that soon changed :big: :big:

Cheers

Stew

Post all the pictures you want\o/ ;D

Tonight I didn't get much done. I try to get something done every night, so, I pushed myself to go out and do "something". I thought I could mill the oil galleys into my wood bearings. So I marked them out and did that\o/

WoodBearings002.jpg

More tomorrow....

Latest posts

Back