Light rust on the bed (procedure for removing)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artofpa

Reaction score
Light rust on the bed (procedure for removing)

Please excuse this newbie if this has been asked before

I see quite a bit of light rust on some ebay auctions.
Is this a problem to remove?

Here is how I might trying to remove it.

1) pencil eraser to start removing the bulk of it.
2) I would like to try lapping compound if I could manually run the cross slide up and down the bed.
3) After a good cleaning and some lube what else is left. Let me know what you think.

artofpa

Don't use lapping compound!!!!

I've used WD40 and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with success. If that isn't abrasive enough, you could then step up to steel wool. If that doesn't work, ScotchBrite.

The big problem with using lapping compound is making sure you haven't embedded any in the carraige after you're done... Bottom line? You'll never get it all out.

John

I use scotchbrite. The maroon colored does well for most of these type issues. Not overly abrasive and shouldn't harm most machine surfaces unless you have to do it regularly. Naval jelly used to be available and will remove rust but I haven't seen it in a while nor have I really looked for it.

white vinigar for cleaning (not cooking) is a pretty good rust remover, the stuf in the kitchen may work but i don't know if it has quite the acidity. use with a light abrasive steal wool or wire brush, no power tools. then oil it. reportedly anhydrous lanolin and mineral spirits is a great rust preventative.

Best ignore it , unless you have a heated ,humidity controlled workshop you will have a problem every winter with rust .
The best solution is to use your machines regularly and rub an oily rag over the shiny bits after use.
If rust ( I call it patina) does bother you , as already said scotchbrite or wire wool will do no harm although I think scotchbrite is better as it doesn't break up like wire wool can.
I would never allow corrosive liquids or abrasives , no matter how mild , near my machines

Very fine steelwool impregnated with Lathe bed oil. I have very good results.

Barry

unless it is really rusted up i would leave it. wd40 will wipe off some light rust. keep it oiled and it will only darken the metal over time. dont expect your machines to be super bright metal forever. i kinda like the look of a worn in machine, with its dark iron.

Latest posts

Back