Les Chenery's Monosoupape

Help Support HMEM:

methuselah1

Reaction score
Chaps, I have made patterns to reproduce Les Chenery's 1/5th scale Monosoupape crankcase castings, with the blessing of Les' son John, who still sells the drawings.

I am writing here to try and gauge if there is likely to be any interest at this stage; prices will come later, and I'm not asking for any commitments from anyone.

-Andrew, UK

joerom

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Andrew,
What castings will actually be included........

methuselah1

Reaction score
There is only one casting for this engine... That might be why the design was so popular - price!!

It is for the crankcase. Les liked to make engines that were true to scale externally, and similar internally; sometimes making concessions to ensure a well-running model.

For the Gnome, Les used a single crankcase (the real thing was in two halves) with a scribed line to represent the split.

That's what I'm making.

-Andrew

bobden72

Reaction score
Chaps, I have made patterns to reproduce Les Chenery's 1/5th scale Monosoupape crankcase castings, with the blessing of Les' son John, who still sells the drawings.

I am writing here to try and gauge if there is likely to be any interest at this stage; prices will come later, and I'm not asking for any commitments from anyone.

-Andrew, UK
I am interested.

joerom

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Have you made any headway on your decision on what you are doing with making the casting yet?

methuselah1

Reaction score
Yes, I have, this very day arranged to have the first four cast. I will give prices as soon as I hear.

my Father and I met Les, and we both bought castings from him; I made the pattern when my Dad machined his case and cracked it, and Les had passed. I asked John's permission before I did this.

this is why things have become convoluted- I'm arranging things from Luton, but they're getting cast near Telford, which is where my Dad lives these days. Luton's foundries have all shut.

Just keep watching this space!

Andrew

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
If that is Madley Brass then they did a nice job casting some ali crankcases that I made patterns for last year.

methuselah1

Reaction score
Update. Five cases have now been cast in LM25 aluminium, and heat treated to "TE" (precipitation treated) specification. I am expecting them to be here over the course of the next week. Photographs will follow shortly!

Thank you for bearing with me.

methuselah1

Reaction score
Count me in.............
You've always been "in" Joe. Postage in the UK for this size and weight is set rate, for the US, if weight is a factor, I'll be prepared to rough the interior of your case FOC, to get costs down.

Latest posts