Les Chenery's Monosoupape

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

methuselah1

Reaction score
Chaps, I have made patterns to reproduce Les Chenery's 1/5th scale Monosoupape crankcase castings, with the blessing of Les' son John, who still sells the drawings.

I am writing here to try and gauge if there is likely to be any interest at this stage; prices will come later, and I'm not asking for any commitments from anyone.

-Andrew, UK

There is only one casting for this engine... That might be why the design was so popular - price!!

It is for the crankcase. Les liked to make engines that were true to scale externally, and similar internally; sometimes making concessions to ensure a well-running model.

For the Gnome, Les used a single crankcase (the real thing was in two halves) with a scribed line to represent the split.

That's what I'm making.

-Andrew

Chaps, I have made patterns to reproduce Les Chenery's 1/5th scale Monosoupape crankcase castings, with the blessing of Les' son John, who still sells the drawings.

I am writing here to try and gauge if there is likely to be any interest at this stage; prices will come later, and I'm not asking for any commitments from anyone.

-Andrew, UK
I am interested.

Yes, I have, this very day arranged to have the first four cast. I will give prices as soon as I hear.

my Father and I met Les, and we both bought castings from him; I made the pattern when my Dad machined his case and cracked it, and Les had passed. I asked John's permission before I did this.

this is why things have become convoluted- I'm arranging things from Luton, but they're getting cast near Telford, which is where my Dad lives these days. Luton's foundries have all shut.

Just keep watching this space!

Andrew

If that is Madley Brass then they did a nice job casting some ali crankcases that I made patterns for last year.

Update. Five cases have now been cast in LM25 aluminium, and heat treated to "TE" (precipitation treated) specification. I am expecting them to be here over the course of the next week. Photographs will follow shortly!

Thank you for bearing with me.

Count me in.............

You've always been "in" Joe. Postage in the UK for this size and weight is set rate, for the US, if weight is a factor, I'll be prepared to rough the interior of your case FOC, to get costs down.

Not necessary to rough in case, I will do it.. Postage is what it is and I expect it to be more to US...I have always wanted the 1/5 scale Gnome, and after the previous year of medical issues, hopefully my health holds out to build it.....

Sorry to hear about the health, Joe- I had an accident four years ago, paralysing my left arm. I've nearly completed three ETW ic engines, and started another steam engine since then! And I still can't squeeze a tube of toothpaste...

have you contacted John Chenery about the drawings yet? We have a gentleman's agreement that I can make the castings, but he supplies the drawings.

Andrew,
Congrats to you on moving forward in spite of your limitations. It is amazing what you can do if you really want to. Also, it appears you are really pushing out the engines.............
I have not contacted John Chenery yet. I know that somewhere here I have some info, and possibly the ME series, I just have to find everything as I am not sure of what I have because I sold all my stuff when I started having all my problems, which I regret now..........................

Cost including postage is £54 for the UK, postage for the US was pretty shocking, and brings it, all in, to $92.60 stateside. The only way around this is if you yanks know any servicemen that are serving in the UK at present.

And now the photos! I can't for the life of me work out how to upload them (android tablet) but email me on [email protected] and I'll gladly send them. I wouldn't expect anyone to buy anything unseen. It will be noted there are virtually no fillets, and also the webs between the cylinder bosses are thinner than Les'- the patterns were made from the drawings.

I received my casting today and it is very nice and shipping was quick...I also received the drawings from John Chenery at the same time..I think it is trying to tell me something....
001.JPG

Thankyou for posting the photo, Joe... My camera has packed up, otherwise I would have done it myself. When I did the bores and screw cutting on mine, it took nine hours- four of which were spent on the faceplate set up.

Latest posts

Back