Les Chenery rotary engine 1:5

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Chenry Gnome plan set arrived and I am pretty impressed. Very well done drawings, interesting to review.

Bob

9131CD00-56BA-4269-939E-4F0003685E0C.jpeg

9131CD00-56BA-4269-939E-4F0003685E0C.jpeg
There are a lot of problems to get the cast parts. So I have build the part from full alloy .
It look no so fine like casting but I think it’s ok. Now I am drawing and turning the cylinder. Material EGT AE63602C-E62C-4EAE-8B87-EACE27A46207.jpeg26410107-3C6F-485E-A8F5-F57C1B3AE798.jpeg824FD354-CDB3-4CAC-9DAB-EEEED90F87BE.jpeg

Attachments

• 5B50A034-E855-4045-98AF-E43655205539.jpeg
    5B50A034-E855-4045-98AF-E43655205539.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 51
To anyone out there a genuine builder i have a crancase casting from when i built my engine please contact me through the forum i will pass it on to a genuine builder for postage cost

Awesome machining rudrik, your very skilled!! May I ask how are the rear gears that drive the pumps and magnetos lubricated? In the drawings and videos I've seen there doesn't seem to be any form of seal in the rear section of the rear drum?? I'm scratching my head lol any enlightenment would be much appreciated!!

Sealing the bearing is a problem i resolved this on my engine by fitting seald bearings they were slightly wider so i remade the housings also i made the front housing and propeler boss all in one as instructed by Mike Cole a prolific model engine builder

Sealing the bearing is a problem i resolved this on my engine by fitting seald bearings they were slightly wider so i remade the housings also i made the front housing and propeler boss all in one as instructed by Mike Cole a prolific model engine builder
Thank you for the information,as for the gears that drive the pumps and magneto,did you seal them in anyway and lubricate them or are they exposed to the elements?

Oh this are problems for later. 😉
Is it possible to fly a light model with the engine?
In inventor I have seen that the piston open the holes in the cylinder very small. If there is a little difference between the holes, does it run too. There are 0,5 mm Max. The drill runs a little bit up and down during boring the holes. I hope you could understand my English .😢

Thank you for the information,as for the gears that drive the pumps and magneto,did you seal them in anyway and lubricate them or are they exposed to the elements?
No i did not seal the gears left them open there is plenty of oil about when you run the engine as you will find out

Oh this are problems for later. 😉
Is it possible to fly a light model with the engine?
In inventor I have seen that the piston open the holes in the cylinder very small. If there is a little difference between the holes, does it run too. There are 0,5 mm Max. The drill runs a little bit up and down during boring the holes. I hope you could understand my English .😢
yes i would say so, great fun was had drilling those holes i am thinking i drilled 1mm holes the same as the circle of holes in the cylinder base (fuel transfer ports)
there is a youtube video of Ray Williams flying A Vickers Gun Bus it may be a 1/4" scale engine i will check

Has Someone a video from running the engine. I find only the video from Ron.
Which propeller can be used and what is the Umin from the engine.

Has Someone a video from running the engine. I find only the video from Ron.
Which propeller can be used and what is the Umin from the engine.
this is my engine running i did not intend to fly it it is mounted on a Gun carriage as in a picture taken from Andrew Naham,s book, you can see additionl tank that i use fuel/oil when i run it to be removed when in Exhibition mode

Thank you for this video. It looks very great. I hope my engine become ready .
There are a lot of problems . One are the key ways . There I must look for another possibility . I couldn’t produce them.

Thank you for this video. It looks very great. I hope my engine become ready .
There are a lot of problems . One are the key ways . There I must look for another possibility . I couldn’t produce them.
Yes there are challenge,s it will be worth it when completed i did not attempt the woodruf keys on a taper i followed the full size method and cut straight keys

Kitson, that is really impressive - so smooth running. Well done!!!
Thank you for that What you can,t experience from the video is the smell of Castrol R oil but as with the full size total loss oil it is the messiest engine you could wish to run but great fun

Latest posts

Back