Lathe tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattty

mattty
Reaction score
Hi
I am buying a new lathe (Al 336d hafco) and wanted to know where to buy a good set of lathe tools (I am in NSW Australia) also what tools will I need as the new lathe does not come with any?
Thanks Matt

G'Day Matty,
Are you are buying the lathe from H & F? If so they have a good range of lathe tooling both carbide & HSS. Might I suggest that you try to find a fitting & machining text book from a second hand book shop & use the information within to teach yourself how to grind high speed steel lathe tools. Far cheaper & more flexible than carbide. Carbide tooling is great for large amount of metal removal, particularly steels & cast iron, but HSS, ground correctly will give a more accurate dimensional surface finish.
Hope this helps,
Don.

what tools will I need as the new lathe does not come with any?

for starters you need

right hand turning tool
left hand turning tool
threading tool
Part off tool and a boring bar.

IMHO buy a box of 8mm HSS tool blanks and grind up what you need.

you will want a parting tool to fit your tool holder and you may want to buy a boring bar or two although those can be ground from square blanks as well.

I think most of us who have been around a while have HSS blanks we have ground , An assortment of cemented carbide cutters many chipped un less you have a green wheel .And at least one set of insert type cutters that have replaceable inserts made of HSS or carbide.

In the pro shops time is money so everything is inserts. But I do encourage you in the home shop to learn to grind HSS.

Tin

You may wan to download a copy of US Army TC 9-524 Machine tool manual.
Frre PDF and lots of very basic info

Tin

Hi
I am buying a new lathe (Al 336d hafco) and wanted to know where to buy a good set of lathe tools (I am in NSW Australia) also what tools will I need as the new lathe does not come with any?
Thanks Matt

Matt. Nice lathe. Hare and Forbes where your lathe comes from have a couple of carbide insert tooling kits. One has a left hand and right hand tool and a boring bar with 10 inserts which is pretty good value on special. http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L450 Don't get the 7 piece kit as you can't buy the inserts individually, only in a kit of all kinds and they are not very good quality. Ask me how I know? I also bought a thread turning kit from them (with inside and outside tools) because I wanted one without waiting for an overseas order to arrive.

The listing for your lathe says it comes with 4 tool holders for the QCTP. Hopefully, one of them will be for a parting blade so grab a HSS steel parting blade for it which will get you going for under $20. Eventually I bought an insert parting blade and holder

You probably will need a drill chuck for the tailstock (and a couple of centre drills). H&F will have them too. Get a chuckless one. 12mm rather than 16mm is probably the way to go as they are more compact and most larger drills are reduced shank anyway. H&F will pair it with a shank to match your MT3 tailstock.

A live centre (as a kit with different ends or on its own) would also be handy.

A lot of us buy tooling from CTC tools in Hong Kong http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/StoreFront
Good quality and a set of 10 inserts is about $40 instead of $100. I save up and every now and again lash out with an order for a few hundred dollars to make the freight worthwhile. You can probably buy additional tool holders to suit from them too.

An oil can and a 4 litre bottle of hydraulic oil (H&F have this too)
So in summary, a turning kit, a drill chuck, a HSS parting blade and some centring drills is probably all you need to get going then stuff will breed like crazy over time!

yes you will want a drill Chuck drill and likely a live center. forgot to list those. You will want a set of center drill as well.
Tin

Latest posts

Back