Installing new lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the U channel idea, it looks like it is easy to clean and find dropped parts under the machines. I think it might be easier to level than a block of wood. When it pours, my garage floor gets wet so the wood might hold the water. However, I could mount some blocks on top of the U channel to get the height I need. Thanks for the ideas.

That is one very nice later style F3! We almost never see Aciera gear in the US, and when it appears it is either badly abused or insanely expensive. Or both. I admit being just a tad envious :)

I know Aciera mills cost about the same as a house when they were new, but the only North American built machine that comes close is the Brown and Sharpe Omniversal. Omniversals are at least as rare as Aciera machines though, and usually in worse condition.We do see Deckel FP2 and FP3 machines now and then, usually in good condition but quite expensive and incompletely tooled or lacking many / all accessories.

Best wishes, enjoy those lovely machines.
Stan

Hi Dazz,

One needs to be careful laying a level across the bed of the lathe if it has triangular ways like the Boxford A,B or C etc (Southbend 5?) as the tops of the wayts at those points are not machined just lightly dressed as they are not bearing surfaces it is not worth the expense of accurate machining. That means that there may be a slight diffence in relative heights which could make the laser inaccurate using two different points on the ways. In this situation you need to use accurate pair of parallels on the flat portions of the ways to raise your level clear.

Twist is best checked and adjusted by turning a longish bar (say 25mm dia x 250 mm out from the chuck) without tailstock support. Just take a light cut along the bar and measure at two extreme points this will indicate any twist as the extreme outer end will be larger or smaller if twist is present, if perfect, thank your lucky stars and have a large glass of whatever you like to celebrate!

If the outer end is larger the bed is twisted towards you at the tailstock so the tailstock foot needs shimming at the front, if the taper is smaller away from the chuck then the bed is twisted away from you the shim needs to be at the rear of the tailstock foot. then retest and repeat until you get an acceptable reading, it doesn't take long. I should say that with my lathe I use a simple scissor (car) jack between czbinet and bed to raise the tailstock end by a few thou (US - mil?) to make it easy to slip the shims under as required.

TerryD
Hi
My Denford has 3 point supports for both the lathe on the stand and the stand to the ground. There is no adjustment for twist.

Back