Lathe block for cross-drilling and minor milling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shred

Reaction score
YouTube video on making and using a cross-slide v-block I ran across. Seems like a handy thing for some jobs.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRcGfni70CI[/ame]

Very Nice Shred. Thanks for posting that. Another item to put in the arsenal of accessories. ;D ;D ;D

Ron

I have one similar and it is very handy!

Dave

Aaahh cutter in the drill chuck, mind you a Sherline probably hasn't got enough power to walk a cutter out. ;D

JS

Well isn't that just the slickest accessory attachment you've ever seen? Nicely done video Shred, thank you.

BC1

If putting off-axis torques on the block (as done when drilling the rod), I'd want more than a single bolt locking the block to the cross slide.

Maybe it's not an issue on a low-power Sherline, but on a larger lathe it could become an issue.

mklotz said:
If putting off-axis torques on the block (as done when drilling the rod), I'd want more than a single bolt locking the block to the cross slide.

Maybe it's not an issue on a low-power Sherline, but on a larger lathe it could become an issue.

That condition of "rotational creep" you reference can, well, has bitten me at least. Similar set of conditions, QCTP on small lather places the cutting tip further off axis. Using a stud and nut rather than a plain bolt as the locking method seems to help some. (the application of load forces in bolt vs stud is more down your alley,) Finding that returning to the use of the original rocker tool holder increases accuracy for the same reason. Gonna make me one of those gizmos, keeping the drilling as close to the hold down center line as possible

Pretty slick rig! I love shop-built jigs & fixtures. ;D

A paper shim between the block and the carriage will reduce the tendency to slip. Fine grit wet/dry sandpaper would be even better.

Looking at my lathe I am thinking a similar fitting to fit to the tool post will be a good idea

Mine works fine for up to say 5/8" My Lathe is 12"

P1010019.jpg

Dave

Just to be clear, that's not my video, just one somebody sent me a link to... I'll probably do one that drops on the QCTP at some point, though the rotation issue has me thinking a little.

Hi Shred,

Mine mounts on an AXA wedge post and works fine with the one clamp bolt....don't be aggressive with a 1.25 twist drill mind you, but up to 1/2 -5/8, you will have little to worry as long as the over hang (moment arm) is below 2".

Dave

A crotch center sure is fast. Mounted on the compound, the block can be turned to drill on an angle, and can be indexed for a series of holes....

Dave

mklotz said:

Odd that after he prepped the fixture the way he did that he didn't use the centered vertical groove as the backstop for his drilling example.

Used as I would expect it to be there wouldn't be any off-axis loading.

Alan

Back