Lathe and mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robcas631

Reaction score
I have a Grizzly 7x 12 metal lathe and am interesting in purchasing a mill. Is it good to have both?

the mill complements the lathe, ofcourse you can do milling in a lathe but it need a special attachment and the work area is limited, the x2 mini mill matches the mini lathe, but if you can affort a bigger one, go for it.

i know a guy that has a bench top knee mill ph 815-389-9714 ask for Jay (Please lock up sold)

I've been using an ENCO Mill-Drill for about 20 years now. It is basically a drill-press on steroids, but makes a great drill-press and a pretty good milling machine. It is the most versatile maching I could imagine and I could not live without it. I've not had a single problem with it in that time other than wearing out the belts. I'd love to have a genuine milling machine but can't really justify the cost and don't have the floor space. Once you get one you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I have a Grizzly 7x 12 metal lathe and am interesting in purchasing a mill. Is it good to have both?

Hi,

Yes you need a milling machine as well as the lathe to do things such as engineering and model making , etc. The mill that compliments your lathe and may save you some tooling expenses is the Sieg X2 high torque model, this is the one with the belt drive and DC brushless motor, but there are dozens of other mills around so do your research.

regards,

A.G

What's the ball park figure?
How long is a piece of string?

As for; "do you need a mill?" With out a doubt!!!!

I bought a Hafco HM50 Mill/drill and although I do not use it as much as I would have hoped to, would be lost without it.
Recently had some very close friends visit on their BMW bike, as they traveled around Aust. The bracket holding their coms unit broke and while the girls went out to sip larte, us two boys went out to the shed to play with the mill. We only slotted a few holes in some ally angle for a new bracket and then for the hell of it, sliced an old ally scuba cylinder in half with a 30 degree bevel, milled off a flat spot for a hinge and made a mail box out of it. Me old mate had never seen one before and was so impressed, as soon as they arrived home, began the search for one.

I will add the worst part of my mill, is not being able to afford all the tooling. You always want/need more, and it is so expensive (good stuff anyway). Mine is INT30 (or) MT30 taper)) and I believe the R8 size taper stuff, is considerably cheaper to purchase.

When considering the purchase of a mill, it is a good idea to also think about the basic tools you will also need to get the most from it.
Collet chuck & collets, drill chuck
End mills/Slot Drills,Boring bars/boring head, Face mill
Clamp set, Parallel set, V blocks, Vise (possibly a rotary as well (with indexing)) etc
Dial indicator (& magnetic base), Digital Vernier caliper (minimum) Micrometers (better), Edge finder, etc

The list could go on, but I would say they are the basics.

Ed

Like others that said above....YES !!! Without a doubt !!! I have a 7x16 lathe and a G0704 mill. I have wanted a mill for a long time and got it this past Jan...I use it as much as I can when making all sorts of things that go along with my lathe. The two complimrnt each other !! Go easy on the tooling...get a few of the basic tools required and add as you go. Go to auctions, flea markets wherever you can to get some really nice stuuf cheap !! It is out there !!
V 45

Being a non-pro machinist I will say yes. I started with a HF 7x10 hoping to make some small engines. Ended up getting a HF mini mill too because I started making some parts for a HD Sportster I rebuilt. Now that is over I am ready to start the original plans.
Anyway my minimal experience says get a mill.

You need a mill. And get teh biggest one you can afford/fit in the shop. I have a Harbor Freight 7x10 (which is too small) and X2 mill. I have managed to do quite a bit with it. I was able to pick up a Hardinge UM for $300 and have spent a couple hundred more getting it going. Larger and heavier and it is so much nicer...

You will want to get a nice 4" vice, a set of collets, a 2"boring head and get or make a fly cutter or 2.

Get a 4 jaw chuck for the lathe.

Every lathe needs a mill, and vice versa. I have 3 sets right now. Here's the small set:

mountedbench2.jpg

Reactions: gus
Hi Rob,
Eventually you will need a Vertical Mill to expand your capacity and range of jobs.
The lathe cum mill will suffice for now.

Foto shows my Sakai Lathe and Sakai Mill in the balcony machineshop. Shop is not
totally weather proof. Some rain comes when it gets rainy and windy.

Shop around for a quality mill. China Mills are OK basis who the supplier is.
LMS seems OK as they buy top quality from China. The Sieg Lathe I bought for a friend
was delivered in a good shape with no rust and damage.Do not for inclinable pillar type as it very difficult for a newbie to align.

You will also need a Drill Press.Please go for 13mm size chuck.This cheap China Drill makes a lot of noise but I manage to coax it to drill.Now that it is listening to me,it kind hard for me to give it away for a new quality drill press.

Gus from faraway Singapore and enjoying his free time turning and milling.

IMG_0463.jpg

Last edited:
Every lathe needs a mill, and vice versa. I have 3 sets right now. Here's the small set:

mountedbench2.jpg

Hi Rex,

You have a great workshop that is weather proof. Mine when it rains and get too windy ,a bit of rain water gets it. The balcony is the only place I can site my shop w/o messing up my darling "boss".

I'll add my vote for a mill. If you can afford about $1500, you can get a pretty decent mill-drill. You can get away with a milling attachment, but the dedicated machine makes life much easier. You can save a lot on tooling by watching eBay. I got a kennametal carbide shell-mill with inserts for $70, regular price $350.

Hi Rex,
You have a great workshop that is weather proof. Mine when it rains and get too windy ,a bit of rain water gets it. The balcony is the only place I can site my shop w/o messing up my darling "boss".

Hi Gus, good to hear from someone in that part of the world.

My shop is indeed a nice one, 25x40 steel building, full of man toys. Right now I have 4 lathes and 4 mills, plus all the other stuff to go with them.
The trouble is, it is 30 miles from my house, 45 minutes each way. So I get out there maybe twice a week, 3 hours or so at a time.
At home I have nothing but a patio about the size of yours, but overhanging trees make it impossible to keep anything clean there, so I don't try. It's very aggravating to need a small part that is easy to machine, but having to drive 60 miles round trip to make it. sigh.
Building a garage is on my short to-do list.

a mill is a desirable companion to the lathe. I would say that modern day wisdom would say yes you need one.

a hundred years ago a mill was almost unheard of heck the modest capabilities of the hobby lathes we have today were unheard of.
there was a lot more focus on bench work and the use of hand tools such as files and chisels. read the old books you will see how easy we have it.

I have also seen some great engines done lathe only.

The question is do you want to take the time to hand file edges and chisel out steam ports and spend the money on a milling attachment for the lathe or spend a bit more and get a mill.
like I said Modern thinking is get the mill.
Tin

Thank you Gus for your knowledge!

I started with a lathe and drill press. Found myself limited to simple oscillating engines.Was eyeing to make slidevalve engines.W/o a vertical milling machine,it was near impossible to cut the inlet and discharge slots. Chipping and filinng the slot holes was impossible.

Milling operations on the lathe is limited to simple milling. The vertical slide is not cheap and having to switch over milling operations takes too much skill and patience.Vertical slides are not cheap.Buying one to fit your lathe is pain in the side.

So bought a Japanese Sakai Japanese Mill and started building Slide Valve Steam Engines.Now WIP .46 Glow Plug Engine.

Foto attached. Most of the parts required milling.

GERMAN VERTICAL STEAM ENGINE .jpg

Latest posts

Back