Laser cut steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbi

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to present my project steam engine

1.jpg

http://www.galerieallegro.pl/

On another forum there is a man from Finland who has used laser and/or water jet cutting for many locomotive parts. Currently he is working on a steam traction engine using plasma cut parts. There is an article in Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading that just arrived a few days ago.

I personally had the sheet metal parts for the cab on my locomotive laser cut a couple years ago. Saves a lot of time and sweat not have to file out corners of window openings, etc. left rounded after milling.

Paul

Off to a great start there. What type of steam engine are you building?

That looks very much like it will be a beam engine of sorts.

Urbi,

Your engine is looking good. I think that laser and water-jet cutting can add more creativity to a design.

Thank you for sharing this with us,

--ShopShoe

Hi Urbi
Looking at the picture of your engine, I may be missing some point but I couldn't see how it would work with the additional pin jointed link between the crankshaft con rod and the beam. It looks to me that the beam could move down and the con rod pivot on the crank pin without turning the crank shaft. Just an observation.

Hugh

Hi Modelman1838

Today i'll make video of engine operation . Totality runs very smoothly despite the fact that such a solution applied

First test on steam :

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9ysaMFz94[/ame]

Those look like air cylinders. Are they off the shelf units or modified or did you in fact make them? Just curious.

Paul

Nice to see this modern, computer-age alternative to all those rough, casting kits of the past. Steam, gas, hot-air, compressed-air engines, that could be more easily assembled from laser-cut plate, bar-stock, and some fasteners....would be a very good thing.

Frank

Cylindres made on a lathe, made of iron and aluminium . Thanks for coments

Latest posts

Back