Lapping Compound Grit Size?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhitee93

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
For those of you who lap the bores of your cast iron cylinders, what grit sizes do you use?

The boring has left me with a good surface finish, but I have about 1 thou of taper over the 2" length. I was hoping I might be able to use a lap to open up the tight end a bit, but have never done it before.

Thanks!

Never mind. I forgot to search here for this first ::)

Beware of compounds supplied for valve grinding. The fine of some is as coarse as the coarse in other packages. I use 400 grit for model diesel steel cylinders and this will give almost a mirror finish. Depending on the finish you have achieved, you may need several grades of compound. 100 would only be used on a poor finish initially. If your finish is good, I would reckon nothing less than 200 grit would be needed. The compound more or less grinds itself to a finer finish as you go along. To remove the taper you will need to make an expanding lap. I have the appropriate taper pin reamers and drill and ream the lap then fit a taper pin, the end of which is threaded and fitted with a nut to expand the lap, which is split. Check each end of the lap carefully to ensure it is parallel. Use a twisting and reciprocating motion of the lap. Do not overdo the amount of compound. You can buy diamond lapping compound now fairly cheaply, but I have not used this as yet.

Latest posts

Back