Kiwi Mk2 Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcutajar

Reaction score
Hi everbody

This is my first post on this forum.

I am considering building an Edgar T. Westbury KIWI Mark 2 engine using castings from Hemingway. I already have the plans and build notes but have not acquired the castings yet. I am not new to hobby metal machining but this would be my first model engine.

I have trawled the internet and found two sites with some pictures. I have also searched this forum but could not find any mention of this engine.

I am getting the impression that this is not a popular engine due to lack of info on the internet. Has anybody here built the engine? As this is my first engine I wanted something simple and the Hemingway site gives the impression that its a good beginners project. Should I consider a different kit?

Any info would be appreciated.

Vince

First of all welcome to the board. When you get a chance an introduction in the welcome section would be a good thing. tell us about yourself you shop and your interests in model engines.

Should I consider a different kit?
the general consensus here is build a simple steam/air engine for your first 2 or 3 engines.
also a bar stock engines have some advantages to castings.

this post may help you. http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=16003.0
While it is possible to build an IC, a flame licker or a Stirling for a first build these engines tend to be more demanding on fit and finish especially in the cylinder. so we recommend something simple and easy to get going for your first.
Tin

Vince,

The Kiwi is classed as a beginners engine, but a beginner to ic.

Like Tin says, it is recommended to get a couple of simple builds under your belt to get used to reading drawings, the use of your machine and obtaining reasonable tolerances.

It is not that the Kiwi wasn't popular, because it was. Why you can't find out much about it is because it is from the 60's & early 70's era, and so not really internet compatible, but the magazines of the day had fairly good coverage.

IMHO, if it was me, I wouldn't try to build from castings and drawings any of the ET Westbury range of engines as a first ic project. I have had a go at them, and the castings and drawings usually have a fair amount of mistakes on them, and unless you know how to get around them, you could end up with a non runner, or even a scrapper.

Don't be dismayed at the answers you are getting, if you want to attempt it, then do so. We are not here to hinder, but trying to help you with your problems.

At least you have been made aware of maybe a few problems that you might encounter.

John

Thanks Tin and John for the feedback.

I have worked before with good drawings ;D, drawings with wrong dimensions :mad: , and drawings with missing dimensions ??? but never with castings. Still haven't decided yet. We'll see...

I'm in the process of building the water-cooled version of Kiwi. (n.b. if I were to do it over again I'd choose the air-cooled version.) I've been "in the process of building" it for about 10 years. It's probably about 90% done, and there it sits.

It may be a beginner's i.c. engine, but I wouldn't recommend it as one's first engine build. Dealing with piston rings and valves that have to seal against pressure, and machining fairly complex castings, is a lot easier after some simpler engine experience. As others have said, start with a simple steam engine, either barstock or castings. Even a simple steam engine, if well done, should have enough problems to be a challenge.

I'm not sure how much experience is buried in your phrase "not new to hobby metal machining" so I may be underestimating your skills. If you have never machined castings before, never made a crankshaft before, etc., however, I would definitely get some more experience before tackling Kiwi.

FWIW Here is a picture of my 90% Kiwi. (The steam engine in the background is ETW's "Unicorn.")

IMG_1501.jpg

Mainer

Great picture of your Kiwi. That one is definetly going in my Kiwi folder for future reference. If you have more pictures in your camera could you please send them to my e-mail address.

I'm glad you like the picture. I'll try to take a few more pictures and send them along, together with a rambling stream-of-consciousness commentary. I haven't seriously worked on it for about 5 years, so don't expect too much from the commentary.

This afternoon I'm recovering from some medical tests (n.b. all looks good) and feel a bit out of it, so it won't be for a day or two.

Mainer

I am glad to hear that your medical results look good. There is no hurry, when it's convenient for you. From past experience I find that photos help a lot to decipher complicated drawings.

Vince

Latest posts

Back