Kinda jumped the gun!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmadness

Reaction score
As the title says, I seem to have jumped the gun. I joined the board and went straight to the shop section and posted a question. After reading several more posts I realized that was considered impolite on the board so I wanted to fix it.

I have spent the last couple of years on the RC Helicopter boards with the younger folks and the join and start blasting away with the posts. I guess I forgot my manners.

I posted my info on the shop section so I went back and got it and reposted it here. So he is the information about me.

I currently have a 7x10 lathe, Sherline lathe, Mini Mill, bench mount drill press, floor mount drill press, bench grinder x 2, two bench belt sanders, 2 Craftsman rolling tool boxes (one mechanic tools and one machine tools),

In the barn I have a torch, plasma cutter, 3 welding machines, 60 gallon compressor, cut off saw, band saw, table saw,etc and more power tools than I can count. I have been collecting a while.

I started tinkering as a hobby machinist when I lived in California. I set up the mill and lathe in my garage to support my G Scale train and RC Airplane habit. Both of those hobbies have went to the wayside but the machining has stuck with me ever since. I even dabbled in minor gun smithing for my friends. I have built a couple dozen simple engines over the past 9 years and given most of them away to people who saw them in my office and expressed serious interest in metal work. I have a couple of oscillators left and 1 over head valve engine that I build with out any plans that seems to keep the engineers at bay when they come buy my office. They can't figure out how a guy with no college education could build something like that. I aways tell them it all started with a 3" long piece of Aluminum pipe (cylinder) and the will to make something that had some unique movement, it just kind of fell together one piece at a time. (note, it does not compare to most of the engines guys build on this site, its pretty crude compared to the works of art on here.)

I build stuff just for fun, my job deals with supervising a large number of people and dealing with HR type problems. When I set down at the lathe or mill the problems I encounter are typically simple and straight forward. There are no "underlying issues", it always the same, operator error and I know how to deal with that.

Thats pretty much it in a nut shell.

RC an official welcome and thanks for the intro.
We have not locked anyone's account yet for not posting an intro . But it is the best way for folks on the board to start out and it helps the old timers get to know the new kids on the block even if the new kid is 70. And if you dig deep enough there are intros of the old timers as well. You are only know here by your words and photos. so a first impression is a good thing.
again welcome
Tin

RC...
You stepped on zero toes with your shop thread. You were well within the bounds of forum etiquette. We simply encourage every new poster to give us a bit of a bio information, mostly so we can provide input that is more usable. If we know nothing about you or your location, it's much harder to point you to available sources for things in your general part of the world.

No harm, no foul..... welcome aboard.

Steve

rcmadness said:
When I set down at the lathe or mill the problems I encounter are typically simple and straight forward. There are no "underlying issues", it always the same, operator error and I know how to deal with that.

Indeed. It's one of the many reasons I enjoy this hobby.

Welcome.

rcm,

An official welcome from the Antipodes. wEc1

And everything Steve, (Cedge) said.

Best Regards
Bob

zeeprogrammer said:
Indeed. It's one of the many reasons I enjoy this hobby.

Welcome.

I like the engines, I like the shiny metal but what I love is thinking about how to set up the machinery to make that next piece of the puzzle.

Welcome.

-Trout

Welcome RC,when I saw RC helicoptors got me intersted,I had an encounter with one about 2 years ago,allways fancied one so bought a Honey bee,had a play in the front room while the Misses was out and accidentlly flicked the boost switch,switched on and it flew like a banchie into the vertical blinds and ripped them to pieces,it stopped with smoke billowing out tangled in the blinds.Panic clicked in.
I tried all sorts of mods and many hours but could not get it to hover. :'(
Don

Don-tucker. About the worst thing you can do to get started in RC helicopters is buy and try to fly a honey Bee. I spent several hours trying to help a guy fly one in a gym with no luck. They are about the most cantankerous flying machines.
Go to runryder.com and start reading if you want to learn to fly. It took me about a year to learn to keep one out of the dirt. I have 4 electrics, 1 nitro and a 26cc gasser with 800mm blades. The easiest to fly is the gasser but it is the most costly when you make a mistake.

Welcome to HMEM rcmadness.

Rick

"About the worst thing you can do to get started in RC helicopters"
I'm not sure which is worse. Model engines or RC helicopters. Getting started in either let alone both, is surely going to vacuum up any time you have. :)
Welcome to the crew! Glad to see there is another addict "of things that don't fly."

Thanks RC, that made me feel a lot better,I would love to have another go.
Don

The best thing you can do is to buy Real Flight's RC simulator and learn to fly the heli's there, and the planes. Then the transformation to real heli's is pretty smooth. The Honey Bee is one of the choices in the program. I learned inverted hovering/flight that way, turned out to be easier than it looks. When you crash you don't have to replace the main rotor blades or the tail rotors or the swash plate or the servo arms or the canopy or the....

-T

This is beginning to turn into a rc heli forum ;D,they are intersting ,and I have to admit I had a flight simulator but it didn't do me any good, couldnt even get it more than a foot up before crashing.
Don

Back