Kin Ya Tell What It Is, Yet??? ( App. Rolf Harris!!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Fred;

It didn't occur to me that you would be using a hand reamer. The one you show in your most recent picture is just that. It has a square on the end so you can put a tap wrench on it. It's also tapered so you can get it started in your hole while turning it by hand.

I had assumed you were using a reamer made to be used in a machine. That type is called a chucking reamer, ('cause you hold it in a chuck). It will be completely round and smooth on one end, like Anthony says.

Sorry if I confused you first time around.

If you have a regular chucking reamer that is the same nominal size as the hand reamer that you've already used on that hole, it will probably clean it up, (take the taper out of it).

Dean

Fred

You have the right attitude there. You are learning and having fun. That's what this hobby is supposed to be about. As an added bonus, when you are finished making bits and pieces you will have a nice little engine there just begging to be started up. Engine number 2 will be even better than the first. Next thing that we know that will be one of your engines sitting at the top of the page as Engine of the Month. Keep at it, your doing great. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Fred, great progress there and I like the 'warts and all' build log. This is what I do, it's the only way people can help you.

Anthony, cheers for the heads up on reamers - I didn't know that either. Do adjustable hand reamers have a slight taper on one end? I put a tap wrench on supported by the tailstock centre and have the chuck rotating on the slowest speed with plenty of oil. That seemed to give me a decent result in cast iron but not sure about other materials.

If this engine is intended to be run on compressed air, they are generally quite forgiving, I haven't made one that didn't run due to piston fit yet, even when I was a young naive teenager and have had some very sloppy fits. A bit of oil should sort it out. Of course the performance will be much better if you get a better fit. One thing I've learnt is that I don't like boring or reaming blind holes, easier to get better results by going right through.

Nick

Fred.

What you have purchased should be fine. Every manufacturer you mentioned are top quality. If you run your finger down one edge and you draw blood you got a goodern!.

You must protect each one while in storage, wrap in paper soaked inWD40 or old rags, I keep most of my files wrapped in rags because I want to protect the cutting edges. Reamers and drills should be treated the same way. Another idea is to get a block of wood and line them up. I will get a photo to you on this.

Never Never while reaming turn the reamer backwards, it will blunt quicker than a chicken running naked in a hay storm.

For you turning spacers for me its Knurling. Even after 30 odd years knurling sets me on fire. Everything I make gets knurled-up.

Will show the pic on the tool storage I have. All the best Anthony.

Hi Mark, :)

Speaking of reamers, I received the set I ordered and quickly made up the following stand.

Cheers

KenM

reamer block.JPG

reamers.JPG

Latest posts

Back