Kids Wobbler Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordo

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been on here before, but not for a long time.
I have been thinking about this for sometime and figure it is now or never.

This is what I am looking for, some sort of wobbler engine that a child male or female of the age of about 7 to 12 can assemble in about an hour and a half with very few tools and I want to keep the cost down.
I would like it to be a metal engine as to have some weight to is so when the child leaves they have the sence of accomplishment.
I belong to a Old Time Threshing show and want to have a work shop for the kids, this has been done before at other shows and I would like to start one at our show.
The show is in August so I have time to produce some parts that are to complex for kids to make at the show.

I will have some small drill presses and taps, maybe a vise or two, some small hand tools for tapping, just general assembly stuff.
I want to go with a wobbler because of the ease and they work good when completed.
I will have to make fixtures for all the hole drilling and tapping so as to make it easy for the kids and save my tools.
I am looking for some simple plans and maybe a souce of materials so I can work on this over the winter.
Any thoughts or advice will be appreicated.
Gordo:wall:
P.S. If anybody wants to contact me directly, [email protected]

Thanks Tin,
I will keep this in mind, looks doable but I was thinking about doing around 50 of these maybe if the kids get interested.
I don't think that I can eat that many Altoids:eek:.
Gordo

if you can have a lathe on hand to chuck up the tin and drill the center hole it only takes a second to drill the hole . I recommend a 3/8 bullet point drill. A regular bit can get ugly in sheet metal. can you have the kids bring tins or have others help you collect them? it is a common Item I expect many get tossed or recycled.
I have made a sketch of this I can try to find and post if you like.
Tin

Gordo :
I will get a sketch up. The other thing I have done that kids of all ages like is a see through Lucite oscillator, a Lucy.

thumb2_lucy_2.JPG

I also have a see through version of a PM research #2 and a see through McCabe runner.
people love to be able to see through the block and see how the valving action works. It really helps folks understand how the wobblers operate.
Tin

Gordo,
I have built the Lucy and found it really easy and inexpensive. It might be a good project.

Pat

Here is photo of a sketch I made of the candy tin turbine.

TinTurbine_zpsdb7432b8.jpg

It only took 6 tries to get it here with the new "improved photobucket"

there does need to be hole through the nipple . not clear on the drawing. IIRC 1/8 or I probably use a #30.either will do.
COC v1.1
Tin

Tin,
Thanks for the picture.
One question, what holds the tin on the nipple from being blown off with too much air pressure?

Tin,
Thanks for the picture.
One question, what holds the tin on the nipple from being blown off with too much air pressure?
Gravity!!! Consider it a safety valve. I never had mine go flying. It will spin pretty fast if the air is turned up.
Tin

Hi Gordo

There was a simple engine (IIRC the first Steam & Stirling book) that was made form hobby shop (K&S) square brass tubing. This may be worth looking into.

Dave

The little turbine looks like a nice little project for grandkids. Thanks for the photo.

Tin Falcon, do you have plans for the Lucite oscillator?

Hi,

This may not be what you want at all but I remember seeing an 'engine' that was made by kids at one of these type of shows. I think they called it a 'thumb' engine as the power was generated by the kid pumping a treadle with their finger. (like old sewing machines). I don't remember if it was here or some other forum where I saw it. Haven't found it again...(yet)

Gordo

There are plans for a small project engine on my website: http://www.manorfarmengineering.co.uk/model_documents.htm which you are very welcome to use. It requires some soldering of the cylinder and conrod assemblies which you would probably have to do beforehand. Otherwise I have used adhesive (epoxy or super glue) to hold the other bits together (apart from the grub screw!)

Cheers .. Kevin

Kevin,
Thanks for the plans, I copied them and will put them in to my file.
The only problem I see is that cost would be a bit high for my pocket and me doing alot of the work on the engine.
By that I mean I will proably be giving these away to the kids and I plan on about doing 50 or so the first year if they catch on.
But if I get some realy interested kids that want to do some intense building your engine would be a great project.

The thumb engine, I think was a Phil Ducos design. I thought of that one too but still alot of work on my part.

I have decided to go with the Tin Falcon Turbine and my first project for the show. I have been sorcing out the parts over the winter. I got some 4 oz. tins and brass tubing for the axle and air inlet pipe. I am going with a poly top hat bushing as I can get them for > .37 each verses 1.58 for brass. The only thing I have not got to yet if the base. I was thinking of poly sheeting or some form of plastic 1/2 thick in about the 2X2 inch range.
I want to get the price per engine under 3.00 each.
I am open to suggestions for the base material if anyone has any.
Gordo

Latest posts

Back