kellys#1 vertical engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

incawannabe

Reaction score
hello all machinists and kindred spirits i am getting ready to start on kellys #1vertical(plans from this sites download index) while perusing the prints i noticed that there is a few dimentions missing or difficult to locate from all that has been given. im particularly confused about the "D"valve and the valve rod and how these work within the steam chest so my request is , if anyone has built this engine and was successful and would be willing to guide me in this area i will be indebted. this will be my second engine and the first built from scratch. my skills are well established as far as machining is concerned but im lacking in knowledge of steam engine design and function so again i need assistance with this ,so kind souls of unlimited wisdom lead me to the path to succrss and i will walk up it. thanks to all who choose to reply with their advice on this FJW

Hello icna..

Thanks for your interest in this engine. (These are my drawings) I would love to see some pics of your progress.

The valve rods threaded end passes through the hole in the D-valve. There will need to be a locknut on either side of the valve. These nuts are used to adjust the valve position inside the steam chest.

What exactly are you concerned about regarding the D Valve? I can take any measurements you may need, or post some pics of the part/s in question.

Kel

thanks for your response, the question regards the missing dimension from the drawing of the valve. is the thickness of the valve the same as the thickness of the steamchest - .0005" (.500) i also noticed that the width of the steamchest pocket is.750" and the valve is .700wide leaving .025 clearance/side. im wondering what keeps the d valve in location except for the 4-40 threaded portion. i havent yet cut any steel (its on order) but i have studied the prints and filled in all numbers that i need to move forward when the material arrives. i really like the look of this engine, did you design this yourself . im not sure when i will get this engine finished but when i get going i usually move along pretty fast, so thanks for posting the plans for that one, im sure it will be fun to get stuck into. if i have any questions about this as i move along i hope you will bear with me if i contact you in the future for an answer to something specific .or if perhaps you want to offer any tips and advise, im open, just email me [email protected] thanks jimmy

Jimmy, Thank you for the compliment. I will gladly help you with any aspect of this engine. Yes I did design this myself, I modeled it after other vertical engines, but most of it was designed using materials I had on hand, and my capabilities as a machinist. I drew up the original plans by hand using my fathers drafting table from when he was in college. So it has some sentimental value from a creation aspect.

The D-valve creates a seal from the differences in pressure. The high pressure steam/air pushes on the back of the valve to hold it in place. The valve rod is merely a guide for the valve. The hole in the valve is made larger than the 4-40 thread. This is to allow the valve the necessary play to create the seal. Also the nuts on either side of the valve should not be tight against the valve. The valve should have about .002" play between the locknuts. Again to allow the valve to be "Floating" to let the pressure difference create a seal.

I hope that helps.

Kel

Oh I almost forgot. I just noticed the missing dimension on the d-valve. I cannot find the exact dimension, but it should be about .438". As long as you have about .010" clearance between the top of the valve and the steam chest cover. You don't want the valve to touch rub against anything but the valve surface.

hi kelly i sent you an email a couple of days ago somewhere in this forum (dont ask me what area?im in the dark ) if you got it ok if you didnt please let me know because i have a few questions about the stevensons link that i need to be resolved before i proceed, thanks. i got waylayed on my engine work for quite a few months but now i see a clear road ahead for my winter projects and finishing up the kelly#1 is a priority. a very nice engine to be sure !!!!! jimmy w

Latest posts

Back