Is there any differences between 12" lathes?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipintexas

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 12 x 36" lathe, I find several makes, Baileigh, Enco, Fox, Northern tool, Precision Matthews, Jet etc. They vary greatly in price but all seem to be the same machine, just painted different colors. I'm looking for good quality and price is secondary but is there any quality difference between these machines?

Secondly, what's the difference between a lathe and a "Gunsmithing" lathe?

hi i have a very similar lathe, there are many machine importers and the main difference is colour and importer name plates. so id go with the best deal to be honnest. it is possible that specifications may change between importers and also included equipment may change between importer's. my lathe included a 160mm chuck a 200mm chuck a face plate and steadies i found another importer selling the lathe without the 4 jaw chuck for slightly cheaper.
also consider after sales service see if you can find reports of people who have dealt with the importer with problem machines and see how well they sorted it out. one of our more expensive importers in the UK do not sell machine spare parts. any another company im am unfortunatly dealing with at the moment take 2 weeks to reply to emails and fob me of on the phone saying theyve seen my email and will reply now which was not the case.

Calum

A "gunsmith's lathe" is a lathe called a gunsmith's lathe by somebody in the company's marketing department who thinks the characteristics of a particular lathe are suited to the needs of a gunsmith. This might be a lathe with a large hole through the spindle capable of passing a rifle barrel, for instance.

Are all 12" lathes the same? Maybe, maybe not. Back in 1985 when I was looking for a milling machine, I saw some that looked the same in catalogs. I saw a couple of them in person, however, and the quality was quite obviously different. That being said, probably nothing today is remotely like it was in 1985, except that one probably shouldn't assume anything.

Grizzly seems to be one of the better companies regarding product support, though I have never owned any Grizzly product and can't speak from personal experience. The Grizzly South Bend line is allegedly of better fit and finish and probably is, though it comes at a premium price.

A gunsmithing lathe is typically a 12 X 36 that is capable of higher spindle speeds
for small diameter work at higher speeds for precision bore work.

Not all lathes that are labeled gunsmithing lathes are any different than the standard
12 X 36 machines they offer.

Check the specs and Buyer Beware!

Rick

OK a gunsmiths lathe has higher spindle speeds, what does it use for rifling the bores ???

I thought gs lathes has some fancy high speed carriage travel or is all done by a broach ???

As you may well gather my gunsmithing knowledge could be written on the back of a postage stamp and there would still be room for my name and address. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

Grizzly's GS lathe...

Tourque wrench settable tailstock, the large spindle bore, supposedly better spindle bearings, the outboard spindle spider, and the re-shaped gear cover to better use it, and roller/bearing steady and follwer rest.
and the cost includes the stand. it is the best value price wise of all the 12x36's, and hopefully the quality too.
I have one on order. and of course theres the rub. you may be looking for a 12x36, but 95% of the vendors wont be in stock.

Enco has a web price on a basic 13x40 that is attractive.

Maryak said:
OK a gunsmiths lathe has higher spindle speeds, what does it use for rifling the bores ???

I thought gs lathes has some fancy high speed carriage travel or is all done by a broach ???

As you may well gather my gunsmithing knowledge could be written on the back of a postage stamp and there would still be room for my name and address. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

Rifling is a broaching process that can't be done on a lathe.
The machine can be as simple as this one.

Rifler.jpg

It drags a button or cutter through the bore cutting the grooves.

Rick

Latest posts

Back