info on Stagren Pixi/Perris Pixi/New Randa/Jason mini lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquarius21

Reaction score
Greetings, I could not find my previous posting for the above lathe. However, if anyone could let me know if they have a handbook for this lathe, in particular any diagrams for how the back gears that drive the carriage forward
it would be most appreciated. I will gladly pay for the cost of copying and mail! I have checked out UK Lathes and that is the only info I could find. I think one member on this board may have one such lathe. Sorry to ask the same question twice! Quincy

Quincy
I have a Pixie lathe and somewhere a hand book although as I recall the hand book is more to do with an introduction to lathe work rather than detail instructions on the make up of the Peris lathe. I'll dig mine out and attempt some photos of the gear train. Again from memory the gears on mine are on fixed centres on a banjo arm that can be swung into and out of mesh with a gear on the end of the mandrel.

The Sartglen Pixie was my fist lathe and as received did not have the self act to the carriage and I returned it to Brian Peris the original designer and manufacturer for modification. My biggest hang up with it is that the cross feed screw is of a peculiar pitch so the graduations do not bear any relation ship to imperial or Napoleonic units making achieving a size problematic.

The lathe came with a four jaw chuck and I adapted a Unimat 3 jaw to fit the nose thread and found out that Unimat collets fitted the headstock. The tailstock has a short #0 Morse taper but the headstock has a special centre modelled on I think the Unimat.

The last I heard was that a company in the Norwich area of the UK were offering castings but these were probably absorbed by Cowells when they started producing watchmaker's lathes as some similarities were evident in their earlier models.

If you can be more specific on your issues I'll try and help but I'm fairly sure the hand book will be of little use.

Best wishes
John

Hi John, I would appreciate pictures of the banjo and gears and a screwcutting chart that could help me establish the order of gears in the gear train for particular screw pitches. My thanks, Quincy Collins
If you can email them to;
[email protected]

Back