indicating a mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aydelott

Reaction score
I was told of a tool that you can use to indicate your mill in with an indicator on both sides so you don't have to keep going back an forth has anyone heard of this or know what its called an where to get one Thank you

Here is one that I have seen its the pro tram system. here is the web site http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/pro-tram-system1.html

Dave

Pro_Tram_1.png

Dave beat me to it - about $100 at Shars.com
there may be a generic brand out there too but I don't know of it.

Mike

I saw one a couple of months ago that was only the bracket, not the dial indicators, but I can't find it now.

I have the Pro Tram. Before I got it, I would think long and hard before tilting the mill head for any reason. Too much of a PITA to tram it back. Now I can get it in perfect alignment in about a minute.
Love it. Yes, you can make one but I was thinking about all of the places a very slight error would render it just about useless. I'd rather be building engines.

thats what i need thank you guys so much its perfect!

A few years ago when they came out I made on but using it on the "nod"
axix is even worse than just a single indicator to figure out the direction to
move. :) With practice it should only take a few minutes with a single
indicator with about a 6" radius swing and a big truck disc brake rotor . I do
the ones at school every now and then . :)
...Lew...

I don't understand how one of these is better than swinging an indicator in the spindle. Been doin' this for 30 years and I've never seen one of these used.

A few years ago when they came out I made on but using it on the "nod"
axix is even worse than just a single indicator to figure out the direction to
move. :) With practice it should only take a few minutes with a single
indicator with about a 6" radius swing and a big truck disc brake rotor . I do
the ones at school every now and then . :)
...Lew...

I agree, time makes it just as easy to use a single indicator. I guess indicating parts on the mill and lathe for 35 years should get you there. :D

I don't understand how one of these is better than swinging an indicator in the spindle. Been doin' this for 30 years and I've never seen one of these used.

I don't think it could be better. Maybe a bit quicker though?

I don't think it could be better. Maybe a bit quicker though?
You still need to swing it around at least once to calibrate both indicators. I can do that with a single indicator. Just set the indicator on zero, turn indicator 180 degrees on spindle, note the difference and move the head half of the indicated reading. Double check by turning the indicator 180 degrees again.

I've not used one but I don't think you do need to swing it? According to the instructions:

"Simply lower unit to table and adjust the head until both indicators read the same"

I imagine you can swing it when your done as extra assurance that the indicators are synced.

as far as swinging an indicator and splitting the dif, well that works on the "B" (left/right) axis on a Bridgeport but not the "A" (forward/back). when you tram the head along the y on a bp you have to multiply the difference by ~3 (depending on the radius you swing) to use the indicator to guide your adjustment then find your actual ratio of lift to change in run/rise to make your next adjustment since the pivot is behind the head and not centered on the spindle. with 2 indicators you can watch the both move in the same direction, one faster than the other till they are synced. then it can be swung for absolute certainty. seems faster to me.

Back