India: Food for Thought

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack.39

Reaction score
Regarding the various information put forth in the thread about India, this fact I believe I heard on Discover channel:

One out of every 6 human beings living today depends on the Ganges River for his/her fresh water.

Think about the enormity of that statement.

Could the conclusion be put forth that eventually water will become more fought over than oil?

jack

I think I'd want to be at the very beginning of that river.

I'm sure "clean drinkable" water will be worth more than oil if the pollution continues.

Bernd

More food for thought.....

Indian car manufacturer Tata, have just bought Jaguar from Ford and also Rover. They are now the largest motor vehicle manufacturer in the world....

I little bit more useless information.... up until 6 months ago the American people bought more new cars per month than any other race, until now. The Chinese now buy more new cars per month than anyone else in the world....

A bit more?

The Chinese public have 0.3 credit cards per head of capita, save 87% of their income, borrow equal to 3% of their income.

Im sorry but I only have US comparisons, Im not US bashing in any way....

The American public have 3.8 credit cards per head of capita, save 3% of their income, borrow equal to 117% of their income.

I think this highlights why we should be keeping a close eye on the developing countries of the world... not being xenophobic, just watching...

Australia, being so close to both these super economies, is a major supplier of base manufacturing materials, hence our strong healthy economy.... sorry guys.... :-\

A disclaimer. All these figures are over 3 months old.... so dont quote me!

(a very cheerful) Artie

I've seen video form India. I think they got the name of that river all wrong. It should be the 'grungy' river.

Twmaster said:
I've seen video form India. I think they got the name of that river all wrong. It should be the 'grungy' river.

The quoted "fact" about the river's water use I tend to personally doubt a bit, but "who am I to dis-A-gree".

It can only get even grungier as time goes by.........jack

Gentlemen...
I'm seeing a political direction with some of the recent posts which is inappropriate for a hobby machining board. Usenet, the 7x10 mini lathe groups have become completely over run with this type of debate, which is exactly why so many of us prefer to hang out here.

With over 4000 members, your comments are almost certainly being seen by users in India. We're not about insulting anyone's homeland, so let's knock it off. I think some sincere apologies might be in order. This thread is only being left open so a few can say their sorries to those they might have offended.

Now let's get back on track and discuss home machining and engine building... shall we?

Steve

Steve, point taken. Therefore I would like to offer my apologies to any who may have taken offense at my comments. They certainly were not meant to be offensive and if they have been so to anyone at all, I regret this very much.

Artie

Guys,

I second Steve's comments.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back