Incredible sounding 24V engine!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Rus

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this on youtube. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdCzHEeCXI[/ame] [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0u9iRTWyI[/ame]

The sound just blew me away!:eek: Now I just have to clean up the drool on my computer and try to figure out how make my V16 sound like that, this makes me want to make a V24 next.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do,
John.

Edit,

I just figured out it's actually a V12, but sounds just great either way!

Last edited:
Spitting back thro' the carbs , missing a couple of strokes , then setting light to the unused stuff in the exhaust manifold. WHAT A SOUND ! great

A few of my favorite sounds (no samples you will easy find 'em)

Rolls Royce Merlin flat out 250 Ft prop pitch at full coarse) ask anyone old enough

LNER A4 Pacific (like Mallard) running express through a station.

F14 tomcat taking off (preferably al la "Topgun* steam catapult and all")

Well tuned Mini Cooper "coming down the box".

Just a few of my favorites but everyone since the cavemen must have a favorite machine noise. Why don't we have a sort of top ten poll on this (MODERATORS ?)

Regards Mark

Brilliant machines. I assume that the engine is a Packard Merlin; it sounded just like a Spitfire as it came down the runway. Superb!
What was the other car?

Jim

Spitting back thro' the carbs , missing a couple of strokes , then setting light to the unused stuff in the exhaust manifold. WHAT A SOUND ! great

A few of my favorite sounds (no samples you will easy find 'em)

Rolls Royce Merlin flat out 250 Ft prop pitch at full coarse) ask anyone old enough

Regards Mark

WHAT!? You got a problem with a Merlin popping and farting its way off the apron?

Bill

Brilliant machines. I assume that the engine is a Packard Merlin; it sounded just like a Spitfire as it came down the runway. Superb!
What was the other car?

Jim

That engine is actually not the Merlin (that was 27L) but a Packard 42L 4M-2500 which is a marine version of there 3A-2500 aiviation engine used in early WW2 bombers.

They are both the same car just different videos.

I was at a small airshow that had the Mustang, Corsair, Skyraider and others. I can tell from experience that the sound in real life is something you will never forget!

Cheers,
John.

Last edited:
Hello Folks Just to add to sounds one rembers in my case is my1958 MK II ARIEL SQUARE 4 with NO mufflers coming off the line, or just sitting and listening to it idle.

They are both the same car just different videos.

Cheers,
John.

The other car I meant was the one alongside that reversed carefully out of the way when the Bentley was billowing vapour.

And thanks for the info about the engine.

Jim

WHAT!? You got a problem with a Merlin popping and farting its way off the apron?

Bill

Dead right another of my favorites , its like dog straining at it's leash, there is a famous line in the film "Battle of Britain"

"The engine is overheating and so am I so either stand us down or let us take off"

I may be wrong about this ( If so please correct me) But I think the later P51 Mustangs were fitted with Merlins, built under license in Detroit to replace the original Allison

Regards Mark

I grew up in Detroit, and the Gold Cup hydroplanes raced on the river in the late 1950s. They were powered by Merlins and Allisons and other ex-Aircraft engines. They did a flying start- that is they started behind the line and tried to hit the line as the clock hit zero. I was able to get into the boatyard whose borderline was the start line, so I could sit in a dinghy about 50 yards off the start line and directly under the big starting clock as 3 or 4 of these boats crossed, at about 150 mph. The sound shook you to the core, and I think (hope) I will never forget it.

They all had the short open exhaust pipes.

I just googled to see if I could find some video, and see they still hold the race, only now it looks like most are running turbojets. The event is called Thunderfest, a good name choice.

I grew up in Detroit, and the Gold Cup hydroplanes raced on the river in the late 1950s. They were powered by Merlins and Allisons and other ex-Aircraft engines. They did a flying start- that is they started behind the line and tried to hit the line as the clock hit zero. I was able to get into the boatyard whose borderline was the start line, so I could sit in a dinghy about 50 yards off the start line and directly under the big starting clock as 3 or 4 of these boats crossed, at about 150 mph. The sound shook you to the core, and I think (hope) I will never forget it.

They all had the short open exhaust pipes.

I just googled to see if I could find some video, and see they still hold the race, only now it looks like most are running turbojets. The event is called Thunderfest, a good name choice.

Wow must have been awesome, at that range you could feel them let alone hear them, not sound you are likely to forget !

They probably are running gas turbines nowadays,

I heard an English Electric Lightning at an airshow some years ago when they were still allowed to go supersonic at displays, You could see it coming but couldn't hear it (but it made air sort of crackle) , when it passed you felt and heard the shock wave but still little noise until it had gone past a little way then the thunderous roar hit you as it pulled the nose up and headed to the heavens with both jetpipes glowing red and "tiger stripes" in the blue exhaust cone.

I probably had a similar feeling to you, not something you forget , EVER.

Regards Mark

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back