In a Pickle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

Is it OK to leave parts in the pickle bath for a while until I get the chance to do the silver soldering or should they be removed after a certain time? I'm using citric acid as my pickle.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

I've forgotten about soldered bits I have dropped into my citric bath, and a few weeks later they were just as good as new, so I don't think you need to worry.

John

Hi John

Thanks, thats put my mind at rest. I left all the parts for the small boiler project in the bath a while ago and it suddenly struck me, acid! Does it eat away at the metal or just clean it. I'd hate to go and find a lump of molten metal in the bottom of the bath.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

I think what happens is that when the metal is down to a cleaned state, it forms a sort of oxide layer to prevent any further deterioration.
You should notice that when you take it out of the bath, you can use your fingers to wipe off a coating the metal has produced.

The concentration and type of acid you have in there, you could in theory add a bit of sugar and end up with a drinkable lemonade, I wouldn't like to try it, but I have drunk worse.

John

Latest posts

Back