Imagineering's Stuff - Locos & Beam Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineering

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Peter, (Doubletop), has persuade me to put up a few photos of my version of Gerry Dykstra's Beam Engine.
I've moved the Dykstra Beam Engine to another Thread; 'Imagineering's Stuff - Dykstra Beam Engine'.

Murray.

A photo of a rather sad looking Loco lurking in the Club Storeroom;
DSC03587.jpg

The Rolling Chassis in my Workshop;
DSC03521.jpg

DSC03522.jpg

Let me know if a 'rebuild' is not relevant at HMEM.

Murray.

imagineering said:
Let me know if a 'rebuild' is not relevant at HMEM.

Murray.

Murray: It's an engine, it's relevant! ;D ;D Do post more as you progress with it.

Cheers, Joe

I have since found that this Loco is a 5" Simplex, (Imperial), designed by Martin Evans, which has been roughly scaled up to 7 1/4" Gauge, (Metric).
The scaling on the Loco is not absolute and has lost accurate dimensioning due the Imperial /Metric conversion.
Although I can't use the original dimensions from the 5" version, I now have the original 'Model Engineer' articles from 1967-68 for reference and general assembly.

Each one of the Motion Gear Links is so worn that the holes are oval in shape, so I can't determine the exact centres between each of the Links.

There are no Drawings for the 7 1/4" Loco, so I've started drawing up all the Parts & Assembling them in Autodesk Inventor 2011 to determine the correct Valve events. I can then determine the exact Centres for the Links.

Here is a rendering of progress so far . . .
Image.jpg

Murray

Hi Murray, do you have any other history on the engine such as who built it and why the scale up etc. And why it was allowed to fall onto such a condition of disrepair? Seems a criminal offense but at least now it may be saved from the scrapper. Heck yeah we'd like to see what you are going/are doing to put this chassis back on the track again, keep us up to speep.

BC1
Jim

Hi murray

Good to see you doing the old girl up
I like projects like this myself
If you do not go ahead sell her to me :big:
Will be watching
best regards Pete

bearcar1 said:
Hi Murray, do you have any other history on the engine such as who built it and why the scale up etc. And why it was allowed to fall onto such a condition of disrepair? Seems a criminal offense but at least now it may be saved from the scrapper. Heck yeah we'd like to see what you are going/are doing to put this chassis back on the track again, keep us up to speed.

BC1
Jim

It was built by Len Ransom, (deceased), in 1984 and ran as a Club Loco for many years. It was retired from use about 15 years ago, bought by another Club Member who disassembled the Superstructure, Boiler & Pipework, and then sold it back to the Club as a result of a move to Australia.
It has a Steel Briggs Boiler, which aparently steamed well for about 2 Hours before problems. The main problem is that 2/3rds of the Ashpan is too close to the Grate because of the proximity to the Main Frames. The Ashpan, if you can imagine it as a 'T' shape when viewed from behind, clagged up with Ash on the sides, thus limiting the Fire to the centre of the Grate. This will not be an issue for me, as I am planning to permanently fire the Loco on Propane Gas.

To date, I have totally stripped the Chassis, Running Gear and MotionWork. The Wheels have been pressed off and I'm presently working on re-fitting the AxleBoxes to the HornPlates.
There is considerable wear to the AxleBoxes, so I will be machining them and fitting Phosphor Bronze Plates to prevent further wear. I'll also be fitting new Axle Bearings when I can find/afford them.
The Frames are now ready for SandBlasting & Painting when I can afford to do so, (I'm currently looking for an income).

DSC03597.jpg

Murray.

metalmad said:
Hi Murray

Good to see you doing the old girl up
I like projects like this myself
If you do not go ahead sell her to me :big:
Will be watching
best regards Pete

Hi Pete,
My agreement with the Club will be to give first buying option back to the Club and secondly to Club Members, as the Loco was built by, and has it's history rooted in our Club.
I don't think that it would Steam over the 'Ditch' anyway.

Murray.

I couldn't resist polishing this up and giving it 100Lbs of air . . . :big:

After 15 years of neglect, it sounded very mournfull . . . :(

DSC03599.jpg

Murray.

Hi Guys,

Bit of an update on the Loco;
She is now stripped to the Frames, which are now ready for Sandblasting & Painting.

The Cylinders have had their ValveFaces machined to remove the pitting, I needed to take off 0.4mm to achieve this. Just need to Sandblast & Paint, then Lap the Faces and they are ready to go.

The SteamChest Glands and Valve Rods are so worn that replacement is needed for both Items.

I had a play with the Axleboxes the other day.
Because of the excess play between the Axleboxes & Horns, I've decided to skim the inside of the Axleboxes 1mm and fit Gunmetal Shims, machined to fit.
DSC03610.jpg

As I dont have any Gunmetal or PhosBronze Strip for the Shims, I decided to make some.
I was given some Bar Ends of 25mmdia Gunmetal the other day, and machined them to 22mm width to suit the width of the axleboxes. I then machined one face flat and hacksawed a 2mm strip off it.
DSC03613.jpg

What I ended up with, was this . . . ???
DSC03614.jpg

Every Strip I cut, ended up with a distinct curve in it, presumably because of the internal stresses in the bar Stock?
So, I now need to buy ::) some flat Barstock to achieve this part of the rebuild.

later . . . .

Murray.

Hi Murry,

You might want to try to stress relieve the brass first...bring it up to cherry and then let it cool on its own buried in some sand....it may settle down.

Dave

I was able to squeeze flat some brass that banana-ed out on me after being cut. A good smoosh in the milling vise sorted it pretty well.

steamer said:
Hi Murry,

You might want to try to stress relieve the brass first...bring it up to cherry and then let it cool on its own buried in some sand....it may settle down.

Dave

Hi Dave,
did you mean stress relief by heating, before or after cutting the Strips?

Murray

As you know I've been a bit pre-occupied with my own stuff recently so haven't been spending much time on the forum. This is going to be an interesting thread with two topics running concurrently. Just don't get the parts mixed up ;D

Steamers suggestion is what we talked about on Sunday when we were discussing the quality of bar ends and why they are discarded in our direction. The sand idea is good so they don't cool down to quickly.

If you want any of those smaller parts blasted bring them round, sorry but I won't be able to get the frames in my blaster but things like the buffer beams and frame stretchers would be OK. It'll give you a bit of a lift when you see how good they come out.

Pete

Before....

Though I'm for giving them a good vice treatment like KVOM said after the fact....if you have enough stock to finish them off after that.

Dave

It's been a while since posting in this thread as a certain Beam Engine has been getting in the way of Loco progress, oh - and building a Cannon seemed to creep into my time as well. ;D

I've now got the Boiler at home and every time I turn it over, a cascade of rusty dust comes out.
This will need to be removed before Boiler Testing time.

So . . . Does anyone have any experience with de-scaling the inside of a Steel Boiler ?????

Murray.

Back